PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Replacing a Radiator Fan Relay in a 2008 PT Cruiser.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Nov 2010, 07:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Replacing a Radiator Fan Relay in a 2008 PT Cruiser.

Hey all, I am new here and at my WIT'S END with my Cruiser and I am trying to figure it out!

I am having some issues with stuttering and air conditioner cutting out intermittenly and from some online searching deduced it could be caused by the Radiator Relay, so I decided to replace it.

Went to Autozone, bought it, and went home to replace it. Opened the fusebox, where the Autozone guy said it was, and there are NO relays in that box.

So I poked around, and I even found some near the radiator fan, but I cannot figure out how to open them.

Here is a picture of my car's engine:

And here are the "relays" we thought it were, but couldn't figure out how to open:

Can ANYONE offer some advice on where to plug this new relay into?
Old 29 Feb 2012, 09:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Replacing a Radiator Fan Relay in a 2008 PT Cruiser.

have same problem, did you ever find out where they go
Old 29 Feb 2012, 09:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The relays are in the PDC (Power Distribution Center) if you have an 01-05 cruiser. In 2006 Chrysler changed the electrical system and now what you are looking at (second picture) ARE the high and low relays. They don't open, they just get replaced IF they are bad. But what diagnostics lead you to believe that the relays are bad? 99% of the time it's the fan itself that goes bad. The internal bushings of the motor burn out either for the high or low speed.
Old 03 Jul 2012, 01:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I'm having the same problem. A couple times my radiator fan didn't shut off, and after tapping those 2 square relays, the fan would shut off..

Could this also be the reason my car is overheating while my a/c is running?

(My car is a 2008 PT cruiser, 5 speed manual, standard model)
Old 03 Jul 2012, 02:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If the fan is staying on, that wouldn't be a reason for overheating. If the fan isn't coming on when the A/C is turned on, then you have a problem, most likely the fan motor, but if taping the relays makes the fan turn off, I'd replace both replays, then see if the fan comes on with the A/C and off when the A/C is off.
Old 11 Aug 2012, 09:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I have the same issue going on with my 2007. The fan was replaced some 3 years ago due to a defect that caused it to not work at all. Now it stays on from time to time after shutting off the ignition and has drained my battery once when I didn't notice.

I learned that if the tapped on the relays you picture and posted that it would turn off. I bought new fan relays to replace it. To 'open' the relay as you call it is actually to unclip it from the wiring. The after market relay does not have the outter clip that looks like a casing. You have to hold down the 'clip' and push down on the top of the relay then push down the clip even harder and then you should be able to slide it off. It's hard to describe but after a while I worked it off and popped the new one on... hopefully that fixes my problem.