Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Problem with Front Fascia, 2002PT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Nov 2010, 06:41 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Problem with Front Fascia, 2002PT

I've got kind of an unusual problem with my 2002 PT and was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to how I can correct it.

I got this vehicle about 2 years ago and apparently the previous owner (my mother in law) must have run into something high enough to put a dimple in the front fascia, dead-center (kind of looks like Kirk Douglas's chin...lol). It's just above the black strip that runs across the front. It kind of almost looks like it belongs there, but in looking at other PT's, I can see that it doesn't.

I have no idea what the hell she ran into or how she did this. The last time the car was up on a lift for an oil change, I tried to push this "dimple" out from the back towards the front of the car. It's actually pretty stiff, and just wanted to go back into the same position it's been in since we got it. Is there some way that I can pop this back out and have it stay out, like it is supposed to be? Should I get a heat gun and heat it up first? I was thinking of drilling a small hole in the center and putting a screw in it to assist me in pulling it back out. I'd appreciate any suggestions on how to fix this.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 26 Nov 2010, 06:46 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Re: Problem with Front Fascia, 2002PT

You can take it to one of those paintless dent removal guys.They can fix it pretty quickly without any paint work.My wife had 3 dents taken out of the bumpers on her 2000 Mustang and it only cost around $200.Most of them will even come to you and fix it at your house.

Last edited by SCBluePT; 26 Nov 2010 at 06:50 pm.
Old 27 Nov 2010, 06:08 pm
Regular Cruiser

Don't the paintless dent removal guys deal strictly with sheet metal issues? I've never heard of them dealing with issues having to do with plastic.

This plastic has been dimpled in for so long that I'm afraid its got a "memory"...I could be wrong. I've never had any interest (or ability for that matter) in body work. Anybody else have any other suggestions or experience with an issue like this that I could try?

Thanks,
Steve
Old 27 Nov 2010, 06:48 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sscanlan View Post
Don't the paintless dent removal guys deal strictly with sheet metal issues? I've never heard of them dealing with issues having to do with plastic.

This plastic has been dimpled in for so long that I'm afraid its got a "memory"...I could be wrong. I've never had any interest (or ability for that matter) in body work. Anybody else have any other suggestions or experience with an issue like this that I could try?

Thanks,
Steve
The bumpers on my wife's Mustang were plastic.The lady that owned the car before my wife was apparently a rough driver.The bumpers were dented in 3 places and actually cracked in 1 of the dents.They made them look like new.
Old 27 Nov 2010, 09:17 pm
Senior Cruiser

If the dent is at or near the exact center, I'd just consider the dimple to be a "Cute" facial anamoly. Or, think of it like this: who's looking under your car to see if it has a dimple, or not? Just how short are these people, anyway? Do they matter? No--they're just really short people. Do they wear badges that show they are professional "dimple" police? Do they have the proper papers to back up their opinions?

Sometimes you just gotta let it go ....

Tim
Old 27 Nov 2010, 09:40 pm
Regular Cruiser

Maybe you're right, Tim. It actually is just about dead center, and looks like it belongs there. Guess I should not sweat the small stuff, and concentrate on more important issues. I can relax a little, now that the timing belt/water pump replacement is out of the way.
Old 28 Nov 2010, 11:28 pm
Senior Cruiser

ss, you know I was just teasing you. But, to be honest, it is in an out-o-the-way area. And if it looks like it might belong there, then just let it ....

Of course, if it was metal (and might eventually rust), I'd fix it right away. But it's not, so just tell those short people that you did it on purpose, and they will take a second look and start nodding. Some of them will say "Yep" under their breaths--which is a sign that you came up with a concept that no Chrysler designer could duplicate.

Keep smiling,

Tim