PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Drive Belt Change - Associated Problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Nov 2010, 06:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Drive Belt Change - Associated Problems

Hi,

I had a drive belt change recently and not long after had bad oil leak. It has been diagnosed as front crank seal. I have also had flat battery (after only having new battery four months ago). Just wondering if drive belt was fitted incorrectly could it be the root cause of front crank seal oil leak and battery problem (as result of alternator not charging battery).

Appreciate help.

Cheers

Tolly
Old 27 Nov 2010, 07:40 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Drive Belt Change - Associated Problems

Well, maybe You don't say how old your car is or list the mileage. If someone who is not that experienced is repairing/replacing on a vehicle that has a bit higher mileage or is a bit older they can go gorilla on the tightening of the belts, this is very hard on alternator bearings, AC compressor seals etc. and you may be seeing the result of that. But, I'm just guessing...it is something I learned the hard way!
Old 28 Nov 2010, 05:56 am
Fresh Cruiser

Wink Re: Drive Belt Change - Associated Problems

Hi BladeRunner,

Thanks for the post.

The car is 2003 and a 2.2.L CRD Ltd Inferno Red. Mileage is approx 63,000 miles. As per the service the guidance: "recommended for change at 62500 miles (100,000kms) or at 60 months"; I decided to get it changed with the service

As with many things in life it's a learnt!

Thanks

Tolly
Old 28 Nov 2010, 08:12 am
Obsessed Cruiser

The front Crankshaft seal leak should have been seen by a decent mechanic when you had the timing belt replaced. To get at it, the whole procedure must be done over again. As BladeRunner said, an inexperienced mechanic possibly could have have overtightened the alternator belt but you should have seen an engine light if the alternator wasn't doing it's job. If you live anywhere near the bigger auto stores, they can, (for free) test your battery and charging system to find out why the battery died. It maybe as simple as the mechanic not replacing the battery cable tightly after he did the other work. Almost all procedures call for the mechanic to disconnect the negative battery cable before starting work.
Old 28 Nov 2010, 08:30 am
Young Cruiser

I don't know if the belts on a 2003 are the same as my 2005, but in the case of my car, the main drive belt and alternator belt are two separate entities. If you only had the drive belt replaced, that connects to things like power steering and the air conditioning compressor. The alternator belt is in a different part of the engine closer to the firewall. If the belt is still in good condition wear wise, it might have simply stretched a bit. Tightening the belt can really help. I noticed when I changed both my belts a few months ago the car ran smoother and the air conditioning ran colder.