Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2005 PT problems any thoughts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Nov 2010, 06:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Is it possible all at once? Any advice

The engine light came on car stalled, started after 2 or 3 min wait drove car to dealer to get checked out. They say I need a cam shaft sensor, crank shaft sensor, power steering switch would all be out of pocket and 2 burnt valves replaced which would be covered under power train warranty. Any thoughts I replaced the cam shaft sensor and knock sensor in June of 09 is it possible all of the above items need to be replaced?

Last edited by PT1092005; 28 Nov 2010 at 07:17 pm.
Old 29 Nov 2010, 11:03 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Re: 2005 PT problems any thoughts

the sensors i can maybe buy if they provide a detail report from the diagnostic scan. However I would love to know how they diagnosed the 2 burnt valves, did they use a bore scope to check them or disassemble the engine?
For all of the sensors to fail at once without warning would indicate to me there maybe a bigger problem lurking.
Old 30 Nov 2010, 08:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I will ask about the valves, since they were under warranty they are being replaced for a $100 deductable Iím also replacing the timing belt for $ 91 which I felt was a fair price. As far as the sensors go I will replace them at home if the car is running poorly. The car didnít act like it did last June when I had to replace the Knock and Cam Shaft sensors the car only has 54000 miles on it and its not hard driving Iíll keep posting what I find out.
Thanks for the input.
Old 30 Nov 2010, 09:31 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT1092005 View Post
I will ask about the valves, since they were under warranty they are being replaced for a $100 deductable Iím also replacing the timing belt for $ 91 which I felt was a fair price. As far as the sensors go I will replace them at home if the car is running poorly. The car didnít act like it did last June when I had to replace the Knock and Cam Shaft sensors the car only has 54000 miles on it and its not hard driving Iíll keep posting what I find out.
Thanks for the input.
Your replacing the timing belt with just 54000 miles? Sensors usually don't go at the same time and usually don't have to be changed very often if you already did the cam sensor last June. Ask for the engine light codes that they got to determine these problems.

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 30 Nov 2010, 10:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Iíll ask for the codes when I talk to them tomorrow, I figured I would change the timing belt because the engine is apart and I thought $91 was a bargain as far as dealer prices go. I did request the old parts Iíve never seen burnt valves. Thanks for the input
Old 01 Dec 2010, 08:17 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Iíll ask for the codes when I talk to them tomorrow, I figured I would change the timing belt because the engine is apart and I thought $91 was a bargain as far as dealer prices go. I did request the old parts Iíve never seen burnt valves. Thanks for the input
Yes, $91 is a steal - I'd have water pump replaced - which is usually done when timing belt is done, again, because of the labor involved.
When you replaced the sensor a while ago - was it a Mopar sensor? It has been proven that as far as sensors go, it's safer/better to go with factory ones - some aftermarket ones have short lives, some don't work at all....

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 01 Dec 2010, 10:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Picked up the PT from the dealer today with a few questions, the mechanic had left for the day but his notes revealed the codes were crank, cam shaft sensors and power steering pressure switch along with multiple cylinder misfire. He preformed a compression and cylinder leak down test. Cylinders 2&3 had less than 90psi of compression. He replaced 8 valves & lapped all other valves upon reassembly he noticed the water pump was leaking and replaced water pump, installed the new timing belt, added Freon topped off all fluids and road tested. I ended up paying for the timing belt P S pressure switch and $100. Deductable hard to believe they covered the water pump under the power train warranty but they did. Last June I replaced the crank sensor with an off brand than after reading this form and with a lot of friendly advice replaced the cam shaft sensor with an OEM sensor thatís all ill use from now on. Iím really thankful for the knowledge and advice thatís shared on this form itís a real PT family.
Old 01 Dec 2010, 10:54 pm
Young Cruiser

wow I am glad you got all the work done for such a cheap rate and under warranty. I am concerned by all the damage to engine with only 54,000 miles on it. I would dig a little deeper to detemine the root cause of the burnt valves, at 54k this should not be happening. The engine maybe running lean on those 2 cylinders.

As a side note compression test is used to determine ring wear, a leak down test determines valve leakage. You mentioned the compression test showed 2 cylinders low and not the leak down test.
Old 01 Dec 2010, 11:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Sorry I was going by his notes Iíve never done a compression or leak down test myself but now I know what their for. When he says he lapped the other valves did he just tighten the valve?
Old 02 Dec 2010, 05:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Sorry I was going by his notes Iíve never done a compression or leak down test myself but now I know what their for. When he says he lapped the other valves did he just tighten the valve?
Lapping is a very mild grinding that makes valves seat better.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles