PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Transmission leak

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Nov 2010, 03:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Transmission leak

Hi, I own a 2001 pt cruiser with 103k miles on her. In the past month I have realized I have a transmission leak so I brought it to a local ammco who insists I need an entire new transmission because something (he can't seems to even guess what) is wrong inside my transmission. My question is is it possible to replace the seal where the transmission buts up to the engine without changing the entire transmission?

Sadly I get the impression that being female I wouldn't understand and he would not tell me the technical name of the seal but instead would explain it is the seal between the engine and the transmission that is visibly leaking.

Thank you in advance for your help,
Carrie
Old 30 Nov 2010, 04:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Transmission leak

yes you can replace the seal between tranny and the motor
you can also replace the seal on the tranny pan

But if it is your rear main seal then it is usally gonna be your pump and then its just best to do the complete job
at 102xxx its not that uncommon but some have went a lot farther.
did you ever have the tranny flushed??? does the tranny slip??? shift hard??? miss gears???? a lot of city driving? highweay miles? if it is just a leak then you might be lucky and just need a seal replaced there are several that can leak on the PT
a tranny job is usally n the teens depending on where you are located
Old 30 Nov 2010, 09:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I have to agree with cruserdad that it is possible to replace the seal on the transmission pan and I think it is an easy fix to do. I suggest replace the seal first then observe it within a week and see if the leak still exist. If there is still leak, I think it would be best to bring it to workshop to have it check if it is really needed to replace the entire transmission. Hope this helps.
Old 30 Nov 2010, 09:51 pm
Senior Cruiser

Encara, take the PT to the dealer. A leak is just a leak. Maybe it's just your auto solenoid seal (above the transmission .... mine leaks a little). Or if it is another seal, that's all that needs doing.

Some of these mechanics are like people who work on your home heating/airconditioning systems. You call them for a small problem--and they will tell you that you need a whole new system.

Take it for another opinion--and don't mention anything other than a leak ... unless, of course, you have other transmission problems.

Tim
Old 01 Dec 2010, 10:02 pm
Young Cruiser

agree with the above the soleniod gasket is a prime leaker on these transmissions. The location of the solenoid block is also in such a position that if the gasket leaks the trans fluid will run down between the engine and transmission and all the way to the back of the transmission and make it look like a seal between engine and transmission has failed. A leaky solenoid gasket will usually coat the underside of the structural colar between the engine and transmission in oil.

The fix is not to difficult, 3 M10 bolts and a $4.63 gasket from your local dealer and of course a weekend to take your time and do the job right. Get a service manual and read through the replacement proceedure then decide if you want to attempt the job or not.
Old 01 Feb 2013, 05:31 pm
Young Cruiser

I just did an oil change on my PT today and noticed some seepage around my oil pan gasket, transaxle seal, and what I believe to be the solonoid gasket. I feel alot better now because now I know why I had to add half a quart of oil every 1,500 miles and a cup of ATF. I'm not going to replace the seals until it gets to the point where the fluid levels won't stay within a safe range.
Old 01 Feb 2013, 06:15 pm
Senior Cruiser

Could be pan seal, axle seals, solenoid gasket, leaks with the hoses etc

Dont run it low on fluid, take it to dealer and have them look and check fluid level.

89 Shadow ES 2.5 T2 +20's A555
86 TurboZ CS 2.2 T2 +20's A555
90 Daytona ES 2.5 T1 A523
90 Datyona Shelby VNT needs work
00 Durango SLT+ 5.9 4x4
02 Grand Cherokee 4.7 4x4
03 PT GT Black 5 sp Stg 1
05 PT GT Silver 5 Spd Conv
06 PT GT Cool Vanilla 5 spd Conv
06 PT Base Marine Blue 40TE Conv

Tags
transmission leak, transmission pt cruiser