Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Heat is Not Getting Hot - Help!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Dec 2010, 05:16 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Heat is Not Getting Hot - Help!

Hello! This is my first post, though I've owned my PT since 2002! I guess in some ways that is a good thing, we've not really had any major problems.

However, it just got cold here in Indy and after going to turn on the heat I realized that it just didn't get hot. It is sort of a room temperature feel. Eventually it will get slightly warmer, but barely enough to take the edge off. I remember last winter when it would almost scorch your hand if you held it up to the vent.

The A/C blows fine, the fan moves the air really well, but it just isn't hot. The only thing I can think is that when we had it in for overheating last summer, they replaced the radiator and a few other items, they didn't reconnect something or possibly the thermostat they used wasn't the correct one.

I'm not extremely knowledgeable, but I know enough to get in trouble. If anyone has any ideas about what may be happening, please let me know!

Oh - it is a 2002 PT Cruiser Touring Edition. In addition, the engine temp gets to about the middle, which should be plenty hot to push hot air into the cabin, no? Thanks in advance!
Old 02 Dec 2010, 07:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Heat is Not Getting Hot - Help!

See if this helps.

Heater air not as hot as it used to be. - Allpar Forums for Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth, and more
Old 02 Dec 2010, 08:53 pm
Senior Cruiser

Sounds like a thermostat stuck in the open position.

Tim
Old 02 Dec 2010, 09:05 pm
Cool Cruiser

+1 on the open thermostat...you don't say how many mi..but, since you had work done because of the overheating I'm guessing it's up there a bit; Where is the temp gauge at? If the temps are reading normal, then I'm leaning towards the controls.
Possibly the controls that open and close the air doors are not hooked up properly or maybe stuck open...just a guess
Old 02 Dec 2010, 09:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

+1 again on the thermostat being stuck open.. have seen it many times.
Old 02 Dec 2010, 10:33 pm
Senior Cruiser

After re-reading the original post, he/she mentioned that the temp gauge goes to about the middle. That's perfectly normal. So it may be the controls, doors, or a clogged heater core. If you needed a new radiator--from plugging, I assume--maybe you plugged up your heater core, as well--although the heater core interior is much larger than the radiator channels. But I'm leaning toward the controls.

Try this: turn on your A/C. Turn the fan on to blow at its highest setting. But now do this: turn the temperature control all the way to full heat (which is just the opposite direction you'd turn this dial to on a hot summer day when you normally turn on your A/C). If you start getting hot air after a while, then I'd assume the door controls are working. If you get no heat, then something is wrong with the controls that open the doors allowing forced air to come out of your vents.

Tim
Old 03 Dec 2010, 09:52 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to WolfmanG

or maybe the snowflake button could be on. sometimes i forget to turn it off. but if the temp gage is reading normal there maybe something wrong with the heater core. If the thermostat was stuck open then the car would be cooling at a lower temp. but maybe who ever changed your radiator didn't hook up the heater core properly or maybe there is a clog, like some of the others are saying.
Old 07 Dec 2010, 03:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Sorry for the late response to all the posts!!

I haven't had a chance to get out there and take a look, but many of the suggestions make sense. The when the temp knob is turned all the way to heat I get "some" heat, but not much. Definitely more than when I turn the knob to cold.

If I wanted to take a look at the controls or the heater core, how would I go about doing that? I'd prefer to not take the car in and though I'm no mechanic, I'm very technical and have fixed things in the past with proper instruction.

Any thoughts?
Old 07 Dec 2010, 03:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkid1983 View Post
or maybe the snowflake button could be on. sometimes i forget to turn it off. but if the temp gage is reading normal there maybe something wrong with the heater core. If the thermostat was stuck open then the car would be cooling at a lower temp. but maybe who ever changed your radiator didn't hook up the heater core properly or maybe there is a clog, like some of the others are saying.
I'm not at the car right now, but is there a snowflake button on the 2002??
Old 07 Dec 2010, 05:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrennard3 View Post
I'm not at the car right now, but is there a snowflake button on the 2002??
It is the button to turn on the a/c, in the winter it should be left on to keep the compressor from binding up and having to be replaced.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar

Tags
heat, heater, not working