PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
PT 2006 would not start after coolant replenisment

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Dec 2010, 11:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy PT 2006 would not start after coolant replenisment

HI,
I have Pt cruiser 2006. For the past few months a clicking or swooshing sound appeared everytime I turned the steering wheel to the right (even a slight turn). I checked the power steering fluid, which was okay, oil was okay. Coolant level was slightly low. Today I added more coolant (zerex G-05 diluted 50 % with distilled water) to the reservoir. After 3 hrs when I went to start the car, it would not start. I can hear faint clicks but nothing else. If I keep the key in On position engine light comes up. battery is fine (wiper, light, radio everything turns on) but the car would not start. Can anyone suggest what can be done next. I am not too familiar with the cars. I followed instructions in the manual about normal starting and starting after keeping the gas pedal pressed for 15 sec but it would still not start. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Utkamuna
Old 02 Dec 2010, 11:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: PT 2006 would not start after coolant replenisment

"clicks" when trying to start usually means the battery is too weak to turn over the engine. You might have enough power to run the radio, horn and lights but the starter takes more power than any of them. Find someone with jumper cables than can help you start your car.
Old 03 Dec 2010, 05:57 am
Fresh Cruiser

I thought of that but since it was late and did not have anyone around with Jumper cables could not try that out. Will try today. However when I turn the key to on position, battery sign does not light up. the only sign that lights up is the engine light which after 15 sec flashes 10 times and then stays on. According to manual this means the the vehicle's OBD system is not ready. Is it true. How can you tell if it is the starter or the battery? Thanks again for your prompt reply
Old 03 Dec 2010, 07:41 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Sorry, went to bed after my last reply since it was midnight and way past my rest time since I'm an early riser.

I believe the battery light only comes on when the alternator isn't charging the battery, not because the battery is low on power. It's to warn you the charging system isn't working.

My manual says that the flashing fault/engine light indicates a serious condition that could lead to immediate loss of power. Nothing about the OBD system. Maybe they changed it in later years.
Old 03 Dec 2010, 09:19 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks Crewzin,
It was the battery. I was able to find someone at 7.30 in the morning who could help me jumpstart. Finally could go home at 8.00 am. When people like me who do not much/or anything about the car start reading the manual they think their car has all the problems that are in the manual , like a patient going to the doctor after reading about his/her symptoms online before the diagnosis .
Thanks again for your help. I learn how to jump start my car, remove filter and all the other parts in the front of my car from this small problem.

Utkamuna
Old 03 Dec 2010, 11:34 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Now you have to find out WHY the battery went dead. You could have left a light on. The alternator might be going out (should have an engine light) and the biggest reason most people have, because they can't see the battery, is the battery cables. They get corroded and build up crud at the connection post and then there's less contact between the cables and battery.

If you live near any good auto store, they will usually check your battery and the charging system for free. It could be as simple and an old battery you haven't changed for a few years.
Old 03 Dec 2010, 12:04 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
They get corroded and build up crud at the connection post and then there's less contact between the cables and battery.
I just want to add that it corrosion is a problem.. all you need to do is pour some Coca Cola on it. All the nasty stuff in the drink eats the corrosion right off.
Might be a good idea to put a wrench on the bolts that secure the cable onto the battery. Sometimes they get the smallest bit lose, and you don't have good solid contact. This can cause it to not start sometimes and/or let the battery get weak.

If I were you and know absolutely nothing about even simple repairs on cars... I'd make friends with someone who does. If a dealership or garage find out that you are uninformed about auto repair it could get very expensive... with the economy these days many places are prone to rip people off, and do unnecessary repairs that rack up huge bills
Old 03 Dec 2010, 12:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street_Rod_Guy View Post
all you need to do is pour some Coca Cola on it. All the nasty stuff in the drink eats the corrosion right off.

...just think what it does to your internal organs.

That's why I drink only Dr. Pepper.
Old 03 Dec 2010, 12:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

scarry since that is about all i drink wonder if that is why it BURNS SO GOOD going down

I would sugess pulling the cables off the battery and cleaning then the coke will get the gunk off the soutide btu ther could still be some build up on the inside and then spray with a good battery sealer or soak with some WD 40
Old 03 Dec 2010, 05:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for all the suggestions fellas. I appreciate your time and help.

I checked the battery and it was as good as new with no corrosion what so ever on the connections. The only thing I can think of is for the past 10-15 days I have not driven for more than 7 miles/day and last week I had left the inside light on throughout the whole night and after that I only drove 10 miles until yesterday when I was reading manual about how to add coolant I left the back door wide open and the front door open too for a while (good 30 min). Since my observation of light left on, the car was running fine and so I didn't think twice that doing this can take a toll on already weak battery. But other than that I cannot think of anything.

About being informed about the cars i do agree, having somebody who knows about cars is essential. That is why I always take estimates, ask the mechanic to go over each and every repair that is necessary and show me how exactly repairs that he is recommending can be essential for resolving the issues by showing me on a different car (basically be a pain in the you know what so that he does not give me too many repairs otherwise I will be taking most of his time in understanding the repairs learnt from my students). Also I take his estimate go online and ask experts such as yourselves to find out whether I am being ripped or not. I know it is time consuming and does not work all the time but it definitely reduces the number of "necessary" repairs. I am new in town so it may take me a while to find someone who is expert with cars, but if any of you guys are in MD and ready to tag along with me for such repairs or even teach me in person about cars for a consultation fee I would like to see if that works out (seriously).

Couple of more question, for the past 3 months the car has been making swooshing noise (which seems to come from the tires or underneath) everytime I turn the steering wheel to the right (even a slight amount) and this has just got worse. It is time for me to check the brake pad but could that be it (same noise comes on when I hit the brake, no grinding just swooshing) or this is something else?

Now when I do the I/M check as the manual suggest the engine light flashes 10 times and then goes solid which goes away when I turn the engine which according to manual happens when OBD system is not ready or when battery died and should go away after few hrs of driving once it is recognized by the system. Am I correct or should I bring this problem to auto repair guy's attention?

On a different note: all the dark colored drinks (pepsi, coke, diet pepper) have phosphoric acid making it bad for both mouth and GIT. So even Dr. Pepper is not safe sorry Crewzin.

Thanks again for the forum and the awesome job of helping all of the novices such as me out there.