PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Hot, cold, hot, cold...I'm freezing in here!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Dec 2010, 09:05 pm
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via MSN to Ironman
Default Hot, cold, hot, cold...I'm freezing in here!!!!

Hey all, I am having heater problems in my PT. Any time the temp goes below 18 degrees the heat in my PT circulates from cold to hot, staying cold most of the time, it was like that to a lesser degree last year, but the year before it stayed hot no matter what temp it was outside. I did have a head gasket repair done the summer before last. Any clue what the problem could be? I'm freezing my buns off on the half hour drive to work every morning.
Non Turbo, Automatic Transmission 2003 Touring Edition, 104,xxx miles so far. Extras- cruise control, fog lights, sun roof, rear defroster, ABS, rear disk brakes, six speaker sound system, power locks, power windows, A.C., window tint, locking glove box. My personal mods so far- removed white air restricter, white hibiscus flowers sticker above the rear hatch lock, nice white primer/rust splotch underneath the passenger side tail light from bodywork...more to come once the money starts flowing freer and the car is payed off
Old 03 Dec 2010, 10:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Hot, cold, hot, cold...I'm freezing in here!!!!

Sounds a little like a blockage in the heater core or there might be some air trapped in the coolant system. Try the easy one first and bleed the system.
Old 03 Dec 2010, 10:20 pm
Regular Cruiser

sounds very much like a thermostat issue.
make sure you bleed the system after you change it.
Old 04 Dec 2010, 10:57 pm
Regular Cruiser

Ugh, I feel so silly, I forgot to mention in my original post that the temp gauge stays right in the middle the whole time, and that the condition is present whether I am rolling down the freeway doing 70MPH or stopped at a stoplight. Also, I noticed that there is a slight coolant smell every time I turn on the heat. So, my thoughts, I probably need a new heater core, and a flush.
Non Turbo, Automatic Transmission 2003 Touring Edition, 104,xxx miles so far. Extras- cruise control, fog lights, sun roof, rear defroster, ABS, rear disk brakes, six speaker sound system, power locks, power windows, A.C., window tint, locking glove box. My personal mods so far- removed white air restricter, white hibiscus flowers sticker above the rear hatch lock, nice white primer/rust splotch underneath the passenger side tail light from bodywork...more to come once the money starts flowing freer and the car is payed off
Old 04 Dec 2010, 11:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Sounds like a plan but try the flush/back flush first. A lot cheaper.
Old 05 Dec 2010, 09:32 pm
Regular Cruiser

Yeah, if the heater core is leaking it's a very small leak, As long as I keep an eye on the coolant level and add when necessary, I could probably get away with not changing the heater core till summer since I really don't feel like tearing out the dash in the middle of winter. A flush it is!
Old 07 Dec 2010, 12:58 am
Fresh Cruiser

I think I have a opposite issue. In my 2006 PT, I will turn on the AC and if I idle too long the cool air turns to heat and the car shakes a bit then the AC cools down again....any advise?
Old 07 Dec 2010, 05:29 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Check to see if your radiator fan is working on both speeds. Look in the Performance section for a sticky on how to do this.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 07 Dec 2010, 10:51 am
Fresh Cruiser

Ok thank you! I will check that out...