Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Short Ram Intake

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Dec 2010, 11:16 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Short Ram Intake

i just got a short ram intake for my new ptc and after i got the install done with the check engine light came on. has anyone else had this problem?? and do i need to have my ptc takin to a garage to have the engine tuned so it knows that it has a mod now???
Old 04 Dec 2010, 12:58 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Short Ram Intake

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunt41 View Post
i just got a short ram intake for my new ptc and after i got the install done with the check engine light came on. has anyone else had this problem?? and do i need to have my ptc takin to a garage to have the engine tuned so it knows that it has a mod now???
Do the key dance to retrieve the code (if there is a code). If there isn't a code, just disconnect the negative terminal from your battery's post for 5 minutes to clear the code.

When you installed the new intake, did you make sure that everything was plugged in and seated firmly? I like to ziptie my lines so they never come loose/off. That could be a possibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromenut View Post
Kawi is a friggin genius!
Old 04 Dec 2010, 01:51 am
Veteran Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to WolfmanG

is the air flow sensor in right? it didn't break did it? I just installed a cheap short ram i got for like $30's on ebay and it works fine. but when i was installing it i was afraid that the air flow sensor was gonna break. So you might want to check that. Or do the comp reset like Kawizx9r suggested.
Old 04 Dec 2010, 04:19 pm
Cool Cruiser

I know nearly nothing about tuning cars, but I know the prev owner installed one in my car too.
The air filter itself was connected to a rubber fitting piece, and there was a second rubber hose connected to the airfilter (the ram-pipe had a small hole on the side,where the hose would fit in).

Perhaps if the small hole on the side of the RAM air intake is blocked, you get a faulty code from that!
Old 04 Dec 2010, 04:34 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

As far as taking the car to be tuned, NO. Just take the negative battery cable off for 10 minutes. When you re-attach it, the computer will learn everything it needs to including new mods. The engine might run rough for a minute or two but then should smooth out.

Did the new short ram come with two holes in the intake pipe? Did you attach the IAT sensor and vacuum line to the two holes? Were you very careful with the tip of the IAT sensor? Very easy to break off and it you do, you need a whole new sensor.
Old 04 Dec 2010, 04:38 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Did the new short ram come with two holes in the intake pipe? Did you attach the IAT sensor and vacuum line to the two holes? Were you very careful with the tip of the IAT sensor? Very easy to break off and it you do, you need a whole new sensor.
Huh?
Mine came with only one hole,and one rubber hose fit one hole, while the main pipe was connected to the engine.
I don't have a sensor in my RAM intake.. Am I missing something?
Old 04 Dec 2010, 05:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The IAT sensor (see pic below) was in your OEM intake. You had to take it out to do away with the old air filter. Where did you put it?

Old 04 Dec 2010, 06:40 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
The IAT sensor (see pic below) was in your OEM intake. You had to take it out to do away with the old air filter. Where did you put it?

OH THAT'S WHAT IT'S CALLED. I'm sorry i tought that was the mass air flow sensor
Old 04 Dec 2010, 08:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

What ever you want to call it, where is it no if you stuck the rubber hose into the only hole in the new short ram intake???? The IAT is supposed to be in the short ram also to measure the air flow to the throttle body.

The MAP sensor is at the top edge of the upper manifold. There is no mass air flow sensor.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 04 Dec 2010 at 08:17 pm.
Old 04 Dec 2010, 08:54 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
What ever you want to call it, where is it no if you stuck the rubber hose into the only hole in the new short ram intake???? The IAT is supposed to be in the short ram also to measure the air flow to the throttle body.

The MAP sensor is at the top edge of the upper manifold. There is no mass air flow sensor.

lol thanx for the info. I've never dealt with one of these sensors before. None of my other vehicles have had one. I guess i just got bad info on the name.