Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
power on with key turned off and out of car

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Dec 2010, 05:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Angry power on with key turned off and out of car

I have a 2003 pt. Would just click one time when key was turned on. Replaced key and tumbler. Same thing. Got a new battery and elecric start switch.( the one that the the key and tumbler fits into) put switch and new key switch in. Hooked up battery and power right away with key out. Key in no start. I even put back in the old electric start switch back in, same thing, Power is on all the time no matter what i do.
Old 04 Dec 2010, 06:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: power on with key turned off and out of car

heres 1 suggestion .. start looking at wires around the switch , look to see if they are chaffed or worn through and touching .but i have to say thats a new one and wierd... i was going to say ignition switch but you said you replaced it already. it could also be a bad ground somewhere..
Old 04 Dec 2010, 07:00 pm
Cool Cruiser

Did you buy the car used?
Has it been wrecked?
Do you know where the damage was?
I agree that looking for chafed wires is the best place to start looking.
Some body shops do a horrible job of fixing electiric wire damage.
Also if there had been an aftermarket alarm system that was removed or replaced, wiring may have been put back wrong. (Something like this is my guess. Somebody has messed with the under-dash wires.)
Has one of the plugs or sockets got loose wires going into it?
For this, you are absolutely going to have to have an OEM Factory Technical Service Manual with a wiring diagram unless you find something obvious. A Chiltons or Clymer or Haynes is not going to work.
Old 04 Dec 2010, 07:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I don't know if it was wrecked our not. Everthing worked ok for a year. I would have to say once the new battery was put in the power to everything was good. with the old battery it was not tat good. I can't under stand why there is constance power, with key in or out????????????I took it all apart and put the old parts back in and still had the problem. New battery,key switch,electric starter switch that buts up to key switch. hooked up batt. power every where with key turned off and out of switch. No cranking?? Thankes for all you guys help. Bob in Oklahoma, scratching my head bald lol