Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Draincock problem ... again!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Dec 2010, 11:21 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Draincock problem ... again!

Well, I was going to try Crewzin's suggestion and drain my radiator by taking off the lower radiator hose, but that does not look like the kind of job I want to do until the last dog dies.

Refresher: I turn my draincock till it stops--it stops at one-quarter turn. No coolant comes out. Then--according to the official manual--I turn it back (clockwise) one-eighth turn, and try to remove it, altogether. It doesn't want to come out, though. Why am I not amazed?

Now back to my week-old (original) question: has anyone in these hallowed halls ever managed to change your own coolant? And, if so, what trick did you use to get the draincock to drain--or unscrew out the hole, altogether?

I wouldn't be a stickler on it, but the dealer only drains and refills (I want to do a complete flush, using Prestone Flush and distilled water. And a Jiffy-lube-type shop in our area won't use my Mopar HOAT coolant that I purchased and mixed myself. So, I'm pretty much set on doing this--what should be an extremely simple--job myself. And I would follow Crewzin's suggestion about removing the lower hose, but when you flush, you have to drain the old coolant, first, then add flush and water, run for 10 minutes, then drain a second time, then fill with clear water, run for a few minutes, then drain a third time, then finally filling back up with the Mopar 5-year HOAT/water coolant. Taking off the lower hose that many times is a lot of extra work, especially when there's a lousy crossmember in the vicinity, and since I have a draincock.

So, any suggestions from others who have actually succeeded in draining their PT radiators, using the draincock?

Thanks,

Tim
Old 05 Dec 2010, 11:31 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Draincock problem ... again!

Thanks, Crewzin. After reading all the info you sent, I'm going to go ahead and pull the lower radiator hose--even if I have to do it three times--with initial draining, flushing, clearing out the flush, etc. It was the lower splash shield that I didn't want to mess with, since it's preventing easy access to the lower radiator clamp. I'll have to look again, but it seemed I'd have to remove the front bumper cover to get the splash shield off. Maybe not. I'll have to look. If I can get the splash shield off without having to remove a whole lot of other stuff, I'll give it a go.

It amazes me that we have draincocks that don't drain like every other water-cooled modern automobile ....

Tim
Old 06 Dec 2010, 02:07 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I installed a flush and fill kit, works fine.
Old 06 Dec 2010, 10:47 pm
Senior Cruiser

Thanks, Chrome. I'll check out my heater hoses and see if installing the flush kit is any easier than undoing the bottom radiator hose three times. And flushing the old coolant out the top of my thermostat would definitely spill the stuff all over the ground (something I'd rather not do). But I'll read into it and see what's what.

Tim
Old 06 Dec 2010, 10:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I didn't do that either. The top connector, the drain connector, is threaded, I ran a short (12') section of garden hose from that to a 5 gallon bucket and flushed my old stuff into it. Popped the top on the bucket and took it to Advance and they dumped it for me. Worked great, no mess.