Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Radiator Fan and A/C problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Dec 2010, 01:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Radiator Fan and A/C problem

I used to get a code for one of the fan relays; it went away by itself. I donít remember if it was the low or high, but did not look into it because I was not having a cooling problem. I know the fan used to kick on at times, I could feel it, and it would always come on when A/C or defroster was in use. The A/C worked the last time I used a few months ago.

Recently, I rear-ended a truck and took his trailer hitch into my grill. It hit just in the perfect spot that it broke the plastic side rail of the radiator where the A/C lines connect. Needless to say, I lost Freon and Coolant.

I replaced the radiator. Got everything back together; A/C lines connected (luckily no damage to them), original Fan re-used, filled with Mopar HOAT coolant.

Now the fan never comes on and the A/C compressor never engages. I am getting a code for the low speed fan circuit (1490 if I remember correctly).

I tried to charge the A/C system but donít believe it will ever suck the Freon in if the compressor never engages, correct?

I swapped the horn relay with the high speed fan relay and there was no change (horn does work). I installed a new low speed fan relay and there was no change.

Laying on the ground looking up at the bottom of the radiator with fan connection unplugged I jumped the pins to the battery. Connecting the left and middle pins did not turn on the fan. Connecting the middle and right pins did turn the fan on. Is that the high speed side?

Will the high speed ever kick on when there is an issue with the low speed?
Is there something related to the fan that would keep the A/C compressor from engaging?

Iím at a loss with no fan and no A/C compressor. Luckily itís cold now in the NorthEast and I donít need the A/C and under normal driving conditions donít need the fans to kick on.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
Old 08 Dec 2010, 03:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Radiator Fan and A/C problem

but you do need defrost and I think that used the compressor
Old 08 Dec 2010, 04:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The low speed and high speed parts of the fan will work independently. Sounds like you didn't have the low speed for a long time, before the crash. The compressor is a different matter. You can get the system filled properly without the compressor running. When a normal system looses the R134a for some reason the pressure switch will shut the system down (turn off the compressor). It can be filled up and the compressor will start again. The compressor has to checked out. The crash might have damaged it. You also want to have both speeds of the fan in working order. As Cruiserdad said, the defrost mode runs the compressor so you do need it in the winter time.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 09 Dec 2010, 12:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

So, does the defroster function kick on the low speed or high speed fan? Cause I'm pretty sure it used to work before the crash. Now, even when I turn on the A/C or defroster the fan does not come on. I'm thinking that if the compressor is not functional the fan won't come on either when using the defroster or A/C since the compressor operation is what triggers the fan to come on.

I ordered a replacement fan since I know one speed is definitey bad either way. I'll also try a fresh can of freon to charge the A/C system. The one I used was not full and quite old.

Thanks for the replies guys.
Old 09 Dec 2010, 01:18 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The defroster function, through the computer, kicks on the fan (not sure which speed) not the function itself. The computer has the whole responsibility of seeing the defroster come on, watching what temperature the coolant is, and by use of the relays, turns the fan on.

The high and low sides of the R134a system have to just right. You can throw in a can and hope for the best but without proper guages your just guessing. Some jobs are left to professionals.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.