PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Transmission solenoid leak

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Dec 2010, 03:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Transmission solenoid leak

My 2001 automatic PT is leaking trans fluid from the solenoid pack on the transmission. Is there a way to take it a part and replace the gaskets or do I need to replace the whole solenoid pack. Thanks.
Old 08 Dec 2010, 05:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Transmission solenoid leak

Somebody else asked the dealer and they said NO.

Transmission Solenoid Pack???
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 08 Dec 2010, 08:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I did a little more research and it looks like you can get rebuilt kits for around $40, but you can get after market packs for $100. i dont know if its worth the hassle to rebuild one. I might just replace the whole pack.

Thanks for the links the pisc really helped.
Old 09 Dec 2010, 01:13 am
Senior Cruiser

I was told by the dealer that you have to buy the whole unit--just to get the gasket. The shame is that the gaskets seem to fail (OEM), but maybe they've come up with a better one when they sell you the whole darn unit.

Another thing that bugs me is this: The Official Shop Manual says after replacing the pack and gasket, they reccomend "Performing a Quicklearn" ... which means they want you to reprogram the transmission (using the dealer's program, of course).

If anyone has replaced their solenoid packs and the trans shifted just fine without a Quicklearn, please let me know, cause I also have to replace my unit eventually (it leaks just a little now, but the problem will only get worse before it gets better).

Tim
Old 09 Dec 2010, 01:15 am
Senior Cruiser

I just remembered, it seems I was looking through Rockauto.com the other day, and they had only the gasket for the solenoid for sale. Check it out.

Tim
Old 10 Dec 2010, 10:12 pm
Young Cruiser

The gasket between the solenoid block and the trans case cost $4.63 from a dealer and can be purchased seperately. You will need to remove the output speed sensor to access the rear bolt on the solenoid block. I used a 1" deep well socket to remove the sensor. Then remove the 3 bolts from the solenoid block, replace the new gasket and assemble. Top up any fluid lost and drive, no quick learn required. Good luck.
Old 10 Dec 2010, 10:27 pm
Senior Cruiser

Safari, thanks for the information. The dealer wants $370.00 to replace the solenoid pack/gasket (parts and labor). Much of that cost is because they told me they didn't have the gasket (which is all I need), separately. They told me you had to buy the whole pack--which comes with a gasket, of course.

I was also paranoid about the "QuickLearn" procedure after reattaching the whole shebang, called for in the Official Shop Manual ... that I will not admit that I possess, but have access to it in a shadowy way of speaking.

I'll try to find the gasket on line, since my dealer insists that they have none available. Then I'll fix in when the weather warms up (the gasket doesn't leak in the winter, believe it or not).

Thanks again,

Tim
Old 11 Dec 2010, 01:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Did you have to remove the radiator? how did you access it? thanks.
Old 12 Dec 2010, 12:25 am
Senior Cruiser

Remove the air cleaner top portion; remove the bottom portion (air cleaner housing), by removing all hoses atached to it, and simply pulling it up and out of it three rubber grommets; remove the battery and battery tray; then you're looking for the solenoid under where the battery tray was. Remove output speed sensor above the solenoid pack; remove the transmission fluid lines and plug them immediately; remove the three bolts holding the solenoid pack. Reverse the above.

Tim
Old 12 Dec 2010, 12:28 am
Senior Cruiser

Oh--and you don't have to remove the radiator....

Tim