Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
p0128, rusty antifreeze, cracked overflow

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Dec 2010, 04:29 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default p0128, rusty antifreeze, cracked overflow

2003 PT cruiser that has cracked overflow due to heat shield not being reinstalled after major repair work done. Last year the head was warped and we also needed to replace a head gasket due to a broke water pump. Boy we are stupid when it comes to cars. So we had the repair work done and a couple months ago we realized our overflow was broke. We were told that our heat shield was no longer there! So assumption is, it was not put back in after the repair. Anyways, no problems with overheating. We have some shifting issues, but assuming it is unrelated. We just ran a code after check engine light came on and it is 0128. I know what the code is, but the question I have is why is my antifreeze now a brown/rusty color? Why is this code coming on now and why is my antifreeze color suddenly different? I understand that antifreeze this color can indicate problems with the head or head gaskets. But car has not ran hot at all and my oil does not look like it is contaminated with antifreeze. Could all of this be due from the cold weather and air getting into the antifreeze from the broke overflow? Pretty much I am wondering if all of this is related to eachother. Please if you need more info, ask. The coolant does not look low, but how can I tell when I no longer have an overflow. Also I do smell antifreeze when I drive. I was told by a mechanic that the overflow repair can wait and if I was leaking antifreeze that I would see a large amount of smoke while I drive due to it hitting my exhaust manifold. I have never seen smoke and up till the weather change, which is before the light came on, I never smelled antifreeze.

Other things that may be irrelavant, but may be useful. Oil leak and transmission leak. Both have had for a while. Repair costs are eating us alive and we can only do so much at once. All we can do is continue to check fluids and put more in.

Take it easy on me please, I know I am asking for it because all this is our fault.
Old 09 Dec 2010, 05:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: p0128, rusty antifreeze, cracked overflow

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackieb View Post
2003 I know what the code is, but the question I have is why is my antifreeze now a brown/rusty color? Why is this code coming on now and why is my antifreeze color suddenly different? I understand that antifreeze this color can indicate problems with the head or head gaskets. But car has not ran hot at all and my oil does not look like it is contaminated with antifreeze.
Coolant has a rust inhibitor but it doesn't last forever. When it does wear out the inside of the radiator start to rust. The same thing happens if you use the wrong kind of coolant. Chrysler only recommends a mixture with HOAT properties and anything else could rot out the radiator also causing the rusty color. If you've been throwing in any kind of coolant because of the leak, that could have started the deterioration of the insides of the radiator.
Old 09 Dec 2010, 05:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The color change and check engine light has happened since we had an oil change a couple weeks ago. Within a week or two this was noticed. Only recommended fluids go into our PT after our major repair was done. But the coolant in the tank is from a year ago. Oil change we just had was at a dealership, so I know they put the right stuff in. I have read that mixing old and new coolant could do this, am I right?
Old 09 Dec 2010, 05:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackieb View Post
I have read that mixing old and new coolant could do this, am I right?

I'm not sure of that. If they are the same brands and same properties, I wouldn't think that would do it, but different types could certainly cause a reaction and change to that color.