Advertisements
02 front crank seal

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By spiral

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Dec 2010, 03:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 02 front crank seal

I am in the process of changing timing belt. I would like to change front crank seal. I see the crank gear has 3 bolt holes for pulling, does any one know what size of bolts and thread that it takes?
Also does it pull fairly hard, and do you need to press back on with crank bolt and a spacer, or is something I need a special tool for?
Old 10 Dec 2010, 06:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 02 front crank seal

Don't know if it will answer your exact question, but here's a little to read. Scroll down to the part that has the replacement of the crank seal.

Chrysler Questions - 2005 PT Cruiser w/ 2 4L Had to replace the front crank seal - JustAnswer
Old 11 Dec 2010, 12:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Not quite what I am looking for. I think thread and hole size may possibly be a 6-1.00.
I do not believe seal is leaking but, why I was this close thought might be a good time to do it.
Old 11 May 2013, 03:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for your post. This was not an easy question to get answered. I am stuck myself on what bolts are used to remove the crankshaft timing gear so I can replace the crankshaft seal. I called my local after-market parts distributors and they didn't know. I called Chrysler and they didn't know either. Did the 6-1.00 work? I went through an extensive bolt collection and still couldn't identify the correct bolt and thread pitch. Thanks for any help you can offer.
Old 11 May 2013, 06:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hi, I did it last weekend, I could not find bolts long enough so I bought a M6 rod and 3 M6 nuts, I cut it to 3 pieces 5 inches long. It did work well. Use air tools if you can.
Before removing the sprocket do not forget to measure its position on crankshaft (gap between the sprocket and engine block or length of the shaft from sprocket to the end)
Be careful with the sprocket key, it needs to be removed prior to seal replacement.

Good luck with your work.
Old 11 May 2013, 07:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Go to the how to section in the tech and performance section. Top of the page in the sticky. Go to replacing the timing belt. Scroll down to the harmonic balancer and crank sprocket removal and installation tips and tricks. Every thing you need is there. With pictures.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 12 May 2013, 05:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

HARMONIC BALANCER & CRANK SPROCKET REMOVEL AND INSTALL TOOL AND TIPS!!!!

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com

Last edited by Busted_PT; 12 May 2013 at 10:16 pm.
Old 12 May 2013, 08:20 pm
Young Cruiser

For some reason the link that Busted posted doesn't work.I used his post when I did my timing job and it worked GREAT!! I got the bolts at Fastenal.. I did however, have to rent the OEM puller for the crank pulley at Autozone.. I used PVC pipe instead of the metal pipe..Heres the bag that the timing gear bolts came in with the part number for Fastenal..They were a little long to pull the gear all the way off the crank, but I just stacked washers..

HARMONIC BALANCER & CRANK SPROCKET REMOVEL AND INSTALL TOOL AND TIPS!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 004.jpg (90.8 KB, 8 views)
Busted_PT likes this.
Old 13 May 2013, 02:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the help. I wanted to pay it forward, so I thought I would post the results for the next guy searching for an answer to this particular question. When changing the front crankshaft seal on a 2001 PT Cruiser, the bolt I used to remove the timing gear sprocket from the crankshaft was a M6-1.0x70mm (6-1.00) I had to buy them specially because they don't come with any of the gear puller kits I own. Chrysler couldn't even tell me what bolt threaded into that gear. I had to burrow one from one of my area dealer mechanics and run over to the local bolt store to match it up. Hopefully, this will save some other guy a few headaches. For the record, this is the worst car I have ever had to work on. It's fun, but not fun enough to forget about the pain in the butt it is to put a wrench to these.