PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Larger Throttle Body

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Dec 2010, 09:44 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to WolfmanG
Default Larger Throttle Body

Do you thinking adding one of these would really help with performance?
Old 11 Dec 2010, 03:10 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Larger Throttle Body

If you're N/A, nope.
If you're turbo, possibly.

If you use it on an N/A, you'll need to do a ton of work to figure it out as it's "Universal". You'll need to figure out your sensors, throttle cable, etc. Even if you find a way to link it up, you'll have issues with driving the car. It won't idle correctly for starters, and I can't even imagine what the PCM would do if it saw all that excess air without enough fuel to compensate.

If you're turbo, there are benefits to be had, buuuuut not with a stock intake manifold. The issue is that the opening on the plastic intake manifold (better design) is 56mm. So basically you're doing nothing by running anything higher than a 56mm TB. It'd be the equivalent of running a TB spacer. (Search if you haven't already)

The only way to make power with a larger TB is with a ported intake, and the correct adjustments made to compensate for the increase in flow.

A lot of the SRT-4 guys run larger TBs that bolt right up to their intake mani, but the bolt pattern is completely different than ours.

Only option is to attempt to retro fit an SRT or Neon-style intake manifold to your car. You'd have to lose the stock radiator fan and install a 'puller' fan in front of the radiator to replace it. It's a ton of work.

Short answer: not worth it.

Old 11 Dec 2010, 06:09 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Kid, I believe that most of your posts have been asking about "add-ons" you could use to increase speed, performance etc.
You have to understand if you have a NA that it is about the best it will be, now you can change plugs, wires and intake filter, but that is about all.
You have a 3000 pound brick you are pushing down the road, it is NOT aerodynamic and is called a Cruiser not a racer. If you want more performance, sell it and get a Turbo, I just hate to see you spend money on snake oil parts. Enjoy the PT as it is.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 11 Dec 2010, 06:33 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
Kid, I believe that most of your posts have been asking about "add-ons" you could use to increase speed, performance etc.
You have to understand if you have a NA that it is about the best it will be, now you can change plugs, wires and intake filter, but that is about all.
You have a 3000 pound brick you are pushing down the road, it is NOT aerodynamic and is called a Cruiser not a racer. If you want more performance, sell it and get a Turbo, I just hate to see you spend money on snake oil parts. Enjoy the PT as it is.
he is right you know..... or you can keep your pt and put in a turbo, but thats alota work. and money..... with all the sanke oil thou you keep getting it might not be a problem for you ^^
Old 11 Dec 2010, 08:44 am
Dedicated Cruiser

I agree,if you want more power trade for a turbo PT.Otherwise you are just wasting money on these gimmicks.
Old 11 Dec 2010, 06:42 pm
Senior Cruiser

Or, you can turbo yours like I did:

the axe effect

(^ Courtesy of Alex, low_pt)

Old 11 Dec 2010, 07:48 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by urimashe View Post
he is right you know..... or you can keep your pt and put in a turbo, but thats alota work. and money..... with all the sanke oil thou you keep getting it might not be a problem for you ^^
lmao. that's true, i should just save my money and get a GT or turbo, but i know all the work that's involved.
Old 11 Dec 2010, 07:49 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris15 View Post
Or, you can turbo yours like I did:

the axe effect

(^ Courtesy of Alex, low_pt)
i've been thinking about that, and by the way, that looks beautiful.
Old 11 Dec 2010, 07:53 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkid1983 View Post
lmao. that's true, i should just save my money and get a GT or turbo, but i know all the work that's involved.
Just get a GT and you dont have to do any work.It will also have a stronger bottom end to handle the turbo.
Old 11 Dec 2010, 08:15 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBluePT View Post
Just get a GT and you dont have to do any work.It will also have a stronger bottom end to handle the turbo.
I've been thinking about it, but it seems like the GT's are rare in San Antonio. I don't want to get rid of my Eve. I'm thinking of just buying a GT. But then again if i do get enough money to buy another car, i'll proly go back to building a muscle car or just invest into glamming up my PT.