PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Hi new guy with a few performance ??'s

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Dec 2010, 06:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to blackbosoPT
Default Hi new guy with a few performance ??'s

Hey guys I'm sure its been beat into the ground but I've searched and couldn't find the info I'm looking for. I've got a 2001 PT 2.4 automatic

I know there are intakes,headers,exhaust and other small bolt ons. I have heard alot of neon parts will work. any idea what neon parts will work?

I've hear that a set of 2.0 DOHC cams will add a small amount of HP but if they work would a set of aftermarket neon cams work?

Also are there any type of aftermarket pistons? was thinking of maybe going with a bit higher compression. maybe 10:1?

any and all help appreciated. I've been watching this forum for about a month since I picked the car up. found lots of useful info.
Old 11 Dec 2010, 07:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Hi new guy with a few performance ??'s

I just posted a note to gkid, If you have a PT NA, changing Plugs, plug wires and the intake filter is about all you will get. The NA is called a cruiser not a racer for a reason, it is like pushing a 3000 pound brick. If you have a Turbo there are things you can do to improve it.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 11 Dec 2010, 07:13 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Welcome to the forum.You will find lot's of useful info here.Hooligan is right,There is not much you can do to get more power from an NA Cruiser.

Last edited by SCBluePT; 11 Dec 2010 at 07:19 pm.
Old 11 Dec 2010, 07:20 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to WolfmanG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
I just posted a note to gkid, If you have a PT NA, changing Plugs, plug wires and the intake filter is about all you will get. The NA is called a cruiser not a racer for a reason, it is like pushing a 3000 pound brick. If you have a Turbo there are things you can do to improve it.
It's true, he did say that, i was there.
Old 11 Dec 2010, 08:06 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Waste of money on a na PT.
Old 11 Dec 2010, 08:29 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004GTMAN View Post
Waste of money on a na PT.
Words of encouragement
Old 11 Dec 2010, 10:19 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkid1983 View Post
Words of encouragement
It's not encouragement,it's the cold hard truth.
Old 12 Dec 2010, 01:49 am
Senior Cruiser

Lots of Neon guys have ran 170-180whp N/A, with mods. Unfortunately we don't have the luxury of a simple ECU mod for power.

The effects of the 2.0 cams will scale with the amount of power you already make. 2.4 cams are basically a tamer version of the 2.0 cams without as much lift/duration on the exhaust cam-- that's where your gains will be made. Using N/A power levels as a base, you'd probably see 5-6hp out of swapping in the exhaust cam, and maybe 2-3hp out of the intake cam.

My car was basically a stock N/A block out of a 2001 PT, swapped from an auto to a 5spd, and an SRT turbo swap at low boost. Running 2.5" exhaust with no cats/muffler. On the dyno, I inadvertently developed a boost leak and the car ran N/A. I use a RRFPR, so the fuel trim corrected itself when it saw 0 boost. (I was running true N/A) I put down 134whp/142wtq (with 5 speed). Up from 105whp/111wtq (with automatic).

You can open up the exhaust, swap in cams, bump up compression (new pistons/decking head or block), and even spray nitrous if you build the motor for it, but it comes down to what it's worth to you.

If you're auto, you really need to get a 5-speed in there. Without a 5-speed, you'll never see or feel the power you want out of it, and even with a 5-speed, you probably won't be satisfied unless you turbo the car.

Old 12 Dec 2010, 02:37 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris15 View Post
Lots of Neon guys have ran 170-180whp N/A, with mods. Unfortunately we don't have the luxury of a simple ECU mod for power.

The effects of the 2.0 cams will scale with the amount of power you already make. 2.4 cams are basically a tamer version of the 2.0 cams without as much lift/duration on the exhaust cam-- that's where your gains will be made. Using N/A power levels as a base, you'd probably see 5-6hp out of swapping in the exhaust cam, and maybe 2-3hp out of the intake cam.

My car was basically a stock N/A block out of a 2001 PT, swapped from an auto to a 5spd, and an SRT turbo swap at low boost. Running 2.5" exhaust with no cats/muffler. On the dyno, I inadvertently developed a boost leak and the car ran N/A. I use a RRFPR, so the fuel trim corrected itself when it saw 0 boost. (I was running true N/A) I put down 134whp/142wtq (with 5 speed). Up from 105whp/111wtq (with automatic).

You can open up the exhaust, swap in cams, bump up compression (new pistons/decking head or block), and even spray nitrous if you build the motor for it, but it comes down to what it's worth to you.

If you're auto, you really need to get a 5-speed in there. Without a 5-speed, you'll never see or feel the power you want out of it, and even with a 5-speed, you probably won't be satisfied unless you turbo the car.
This is really good advice. See i'm into all the gimmicks out there eventho all of these guys tell me not to invest in them. lol but honestly i think i'm just gonna give up trying to increase the hp and work on the looks. I mean, i'm gonna add a magnaflow exhaust and put new wires and plugs but there's really nothing else that can be done to a non-turbo with out blowing a head gasket or putting a crack in the block. The best advise is to get a GT or do an engine swap.
Old 12 Dec 2010, 08:36 am
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to blackbosoPT

thanks chris15 thats the answers I was looking for. I'm not looking to make a ton of HP or anything like that. Just looking to make it a bit more fun to drive. I saw the video of your car on youtube. Sounds awesome. As far as a 5 spd swap goes, I'd love to but then my wife wouldnt drive it.