Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Error Code P1131

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Dec 2010, 09:06 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Error Code P1131

Hi, I've been reading this forum for a few years now & you've helped fix (my hubby really) a couple of problems & save me a few quid.......so thanks for that.

I've joined today because I searched the forum, but couldn't find anyone who'd had the same error code. I've discovered the code P1131 is HO2S Circuit Low Variance Bank 1 Sensor 2, but have no idea what that means!

I have a 2004 CRD.

Thanks very much.
Old 18 Dec 2010, 09:41 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Error Code P1131

Welcome to the forum.

You have the diesel engine which aren't made in the U.S of A. but maybe the code you getting is related to parts that we do have. Here in the land of the round door knobs (inside joke) we have 2 Oxygen sensors to help with emissions control. Not sure if they put them in the overseas models or not and really not sure if the Diesel engine has ANY emissions related parts. One sensor is right by the exhaust manifold, the other by the Catalytic Converter (again, not sure if you have that). They are known as Upstream and Downstream sensors because of where they are located.

If, you can doesn't have any of that emissions related equipment, there's no use listening to the rest of this.

One of the sensors (probably upstream) is seeing a bad input (probably lean condition) and has sent the trouble code to the computer to set the fault light. Over here, depending on the mileage, it's best to replace both sensors after a reasonable amount of mileage (+ or - 70-90,000).

Now after saying that, it might not be the sensor itself but something causing the lean condition which would make the sensor set the code. The diesel engine is a completely different animal compared to ours. Might have to diagnosed by a competent mechanic.

There is a really great United Kingdom PT Cruiser site and they are always willing to help out. They also have two other engines for the PT that we don't have here and one is the Diesel. Here's the site: http://ukcruisers.net/forum/

Last edited by CREWZIN; 18 Dec 2010 at 09:44 am.
Old 19 Dec 2010, 01:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Error Code P1131

Thanks very much CREWZIN for taking the time to reply to my problem. I'll check out all the information you've given me and head over to the uk site too. Thanks again

Tags
error code, p1131