PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Issues with 2002 PT Cruiser touring HELP!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Dec 2010, 06:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Issues with 2002 PT Cruiser touring HELP!!

Hi,

I am from Australia and wondering about some issued with a PT cruiser.

first one is that when u fill up the fuel tank the pump clicks of which suggests that the fuel tank would be full.. but needle only sticks to 3/4 full and u never know if its full and cannot put any more fuel in etc.. any one shed some light on this issue..

Also with the fog lights, the indicator in the dash that they are on has turnt orange and is not green anymore and the lights dont even work.. any suggestions on know problems would be great...

any suggestions to
princey85@gmail.com

Thanks heaps..
Old 18 Dec 2010, 06:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Issues with 2002 PT Cruiser touring HELP!!

Welcome to the forum.

I take it you just bought the used PT and are just finding out some of the quirks and things that didn't work.

On the gas fill-ups. Almost everyone has the same problem. I have for the last 10 years. It's an inherent design flaw with something to do with the fill tube, tank air venting system. If you just pump it slow when it hits the stop for the first time, you should be able to fill it to the top. Sometimes stopping altogether before starting again. Sometimes changing "petrol" stations or pumps can help.

On the fog lights, I don't think we've ever heard of the fog indicator icon going orange. 99% of the time, the multifunction stalk on the steering column is the culprit for the fog lights to stop working. The small, cheaply made internal parts of the stalk tend to burn out or wear out and sometimes go bad leaving the fog lights ON at all times draining the battery. If you do a search on tis forum for the "multifunction stalk" or look under the "Tech & Performance" section, you'll see sticky threads (they don't go away) explaining how to work on or replace the stalk.
Old 18 Dec 2010, 07:03 pm
Cool Cruiser

First, welcome to the forum from the Great White North. The fog light issue is a common one & is usually caused by the multifunction switch. If you do a search you will find lots of info on how to repair this..also a great pictorial that I used myself to repair mine.
The fog indicator turning orange is,well..just weird! On this side of the pond the fog indicator is a green L.E.D.

Second, you probably have an "export" PT. So, some fixes/equipment might be different.I believe on export models there is a setting on the mutifunction switch for "rear" fogs, if you have that maybe yours has orange for the rears?? As far as the gas fill-up; Mine will "click-off" before it's full also, I just move the filler out a bit and continue.
There is a simple way to check if the gauges/indicator lights are working,( except the fog indicator). push & hold the odometer reset button then turn the ignition key to "0n" but not all the way to start. you will see the odometer showing all the numbers in sequence from 1~9; Then the gauges will move a step at a time all the way through their sweep. This will tell you if the gas gauge is at least showing "full".
If that is OK then you will need to look deeper into why it's not showing full.
Old 18 Dec 2010, 07:04 pm
Cool Cruiser

Hey CREWZIN..clearly you type faster than me!...
Old 18 Dec 2010, 07:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Looks like I started 10 minutes before you did, but good answers anyway.