PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Will not start after timing belt change.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Dec 2010, 03:43 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Will not start after timing belt change.

Hello! I am having a bit of trouble out of my Cruiser. Earlier in the week, the car stalled but didn't die on my way home one evening. When I went to take off, it would start to die, but when I would stop, it would continue to idle. I have a friend who is a good mechanic as a hobby. He came with his computer and got a code for the camshaft position sensor. The next day I changed the sensor and the car was fine. When I looked it up, the symptoms were perfect for the part. A day later, the car died and would not start. I changed the sensor a second time, but then we realized it was the belt because the cam wasn't turning. He and my husband tore the car down and replaced the timing belt along with the kit components and the water pump. The car is back together but it still won't start, just as before the repair. I have been all over the forum and know that the typical cause is improper timing. However, they insist they got the timing correct. Could I need yet another camshaft position sensor? Or do you think it is the timing? I am also wondering if there is anything that could have come unplugged that they missed when putting it back together... Any suggestions are appreciated!
~Britt
Old 19 Dec 2010, 07:10 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Will not start after timing belt change.

Britt,

There's always that chance that something was knocked loose or not put together properly that would stop the car from starting but we can't help there. Everything that was done has to be gone over to see that it's not the case.

My suggestion is to change the Camshaft Position sensor AGAIN making sure you only use a genuine Chrysler/MOPAR part from the dealer. NOT anything from an aftermaker parts store. PT's don't like aftermarket parts.

Now, if you DID you a Chrysler part, then you have to check the wiring harness from the sensor all the way the back of the engine because there has been cases where the harness rubbed on a sharp edge or moving part and the wires burnt/broke which would give the same indication as a bad sensor.

Please let us know what you found out.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 20 Dec 2010, 02:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

We decided to send the car to another mechanic. It turns out there was absolutely no compression. So, he has pulled the motor and is checking the timing. I was told that if the timing was off 180 degrees then there would be no compression. If that is not what happened, the next step will be to check for bent valves. I am crossing my fingers that it is only the timing. Does that sound like a possible diagnosis to you?
Thanks for your input!
Old 20 Dec 2010, 02:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I don't know about the 180 degree off for loss of all compression. A quick search gives different answers. As far as the bent valves, I don't think you could bend enough to loose all compression.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Old 20 Dec 2010, 06:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Looks like we are in good shape. The mechanic says that the camshaft was off 180 degrees... something about 1 arrow was up and the other was down? My hubby and friend said they lined up dots and never saw arrows, LOL. He corrected the allignment and the car started up on the first try. I do not have it back yet, but should be able to pick it up this evening. Merry Christmas to me!

Thanks for bouncing ideas with me...
Britt
Old 20 Dec 2010, 06:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Good luck. Hope it all works out. Happy Holidays.
Old 21 Dec 2010, 06:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I got my cruiser back but it is running rough and it dies sometimes when I am stopping. I took it back to the mechanic and told him I am afraid the timing is still off. He thinks that it is only a dirty throttle body, which he cleaned today, and that I just need to drive it so it can relearn. Well, it is still dying. So the next idea is maybe it needs a tune-up. I don't know what to do at this point? Am I way off to think the timing is still wrong?

Last edited by britt; 21 Dec 2010 at 07:05 pm. Reason: sarcasm removal
Old 21 Dec 2010, 06:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

No, your not way off to think that. The rough idle is one of most tell-tale signs of the timing being off. Keep bugging the mechanic. Tell him you looked it up on a PT forum and if he still doesn't believe you, ask him why it isn't running like it should? That's what you paid him for.
Old 21 Dec 2010, 07:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

So my mechanic just called and he wants me to bring the pt back so he can check the timing. Said he was thinking about it and he just needs to recheck it. That makes me happy. Wish us luck.
Old 21 Dec 2010, 07:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Good luck.

Tags
camshaft position sensor, timing belt