PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
How to increase MPGs

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Dec 2010, 05:01 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default How to increase MPGs

i am looking for way to increase the mpgs on my ptc. its a 05 non turbo. i dont have a short ram intake. should i get my engine tuned next times its at the garage since i upgraded the intake?
Old 19 Dec 2010, 06:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: How to increase MPGs

Have you been keeping good records of your MPG? What are you getting now? You might find that your getting as good as it gets. The best things for mileage goes for any car on the road. Keep your tires properly inflated, no jack rabbit starts and anticipate your stops. Don't carry more load than you have to.

You don't have a short ram intake but you upgraded the intake. How did you do that? As far as tuning. Plugs and wires are all that yo can do.
Old 19 Dec 2010, 06:37 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to WolfmanG

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunt41 View Post
i am looking for way to increase the mpgs on my ptc. its a 05 non turbo. i dont have a short ram intake. should i get my engine tuned next times its at the garage since i upgraded the intake?
Some ppl may suggest disconnecting the battery for a like 10 min's so the comp can recognize that there's a change. if you keep track of you mpg's on the dash you may see a large increase after you hook up the battery again, but with everyday driving, it will drop back down.
Old 19 Dec 2010, 10:02 pm
Cool Cruiser

im sorry i meant i do have the short ram intake. would a cat back system help? and is there any bolt on stuff or anything to help improve it?
Old 20 Dec 2010, 03:47 am
Senior Cruiser

Not particularly. A short ram will actually lower your fuel economy slightly.

Your best bet is honestly to shave as much weight as possible from the car. The back seats alone weigh ~105lbs.

Old 20 Dec 2010, 08:31 am
Cool Cruiser

5 tips:
drive with a non full gas tank could save you too.
Make sure your tires are at optimal pressure.
Don't keep junk in your car.
Shift gears between 2k and 2,5k RPM
accelerate slowly

you could always get rid of your spare tire and passenger seat, but I don't know if you want to go that far...

As far as the mileage compared to other cars, the PT is somewhere in the middle.
I don't know if you've been keeping track lately but there are NA cars that are rated upto 36mpg, and some people have gotten over 40mpg out of them by driving better. But those cars generally are cheap cars, with manual transmission, plastic dashboard and lightfoam seats, and have less than 2liter 120hp 4cyl engines.

The PT with it's 21mpg is average, the perfect balance between fuel efficiency and comfort, enough power and gadgets to drive comfortably.

Last edited by ProDigit; 20 Dec 2010 at 08:38 am.
Old 20 Dec 2010, 01:33 pm
Senior Cruiser

1) Driving with a 'non-full' tank of gas that goes below a quarter tank is not ideal. The in-tank fuel pump is actually cooled by the fuel that surrounds it, and when the fuel level dips below 1/4 tank, you risk the pump no longer being cooled. Could lead to premature failure of the pump.

2) With a manual, shifting at low RPMs causes added strain on your engine and will piss off your clutch royally if you don't use some sense.

With my automatic N/A and a cracked exhaust manifold (though unknown to me at the time), I got ~18mpgs. I imagine the exhaust manifold probably accounted for 2-3mpgs, so if you're in the vicinity of 20-22mpgs, you're absolutely normal and I wouldn't expect anything higher. If you're stick, maybe slightly higher mileage. Now, with the turbo and the 5-speed, I average around 25-26mpgs. Pretty awesome.

Old 20 Dec 2010, 01:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

no matter what you will only get betwen 18-24 yse some say 28 but i have no idea how thay do it I do belive they do but i cant today mione got 19.1 on the dash and doing th numbers i got 19.6
just think about pushing a heavy brick down he highway in the wind and that is a PT
Old 20 Dec 2010, 08:35 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris15 View Post
1) Driving with a 'non-full' tank of gas that goes below a quarter tank is not ideal. The in-tank fuel pump is actually cooled by the fuel that surrounds it, and when the fuel level dips below 1/4 tank, you risk the pump no longer being cooled. Could lead to premature failure of the pump.

2) With a manual, shifting at low RPMs causes added strain on your engine and will piss off your clutch royally if you don't use some sense.

With my automatic N/A and a cracked exhaust manifold (though unknown to me at the time), I got ~18mpgs. I imagine the exhaust manifold probably accounted for 2-3mpgs, so if you're in the vicinity of 20-22mpgs, you're absolutely normal and I wouldn't expect anything higher. If you're stick, maybe slightly higher mileage. Now, with the turbo and the 5-speed, I average around 25-26mpgs. Pretty awesome.
1- the fuel pump cools pretty fine with reserve gas, otherwise driving on reserve would result in spontaneous combustion

2- 2-2,5k RPM shifting is recommended by the manual. 1-1,5k RPM shifting would be considered low RPM shifting
2-2,5k would be seen as optimum shifting. Shifting at 3-4k puts more wear on the bearing
Old 20 Dec 2010, 08:50 pm
Senior Cruiser

1) You've ran your car and subsequently removed your fuel pump immediately following driving it to test temperatures at different fuel levels? You have fact-based evidence to show that the pump is adequately cooled by low fuel levels? Also, citing 'spontaneous combustion' means you've watched way too many CSI episodes. If there were an explosion, it would be the result of the fuel pump being near fuel-- NOT 'spontaneous'. The fuel pump consists of seals that keep fuel from leaking into the 'motor' of the pump-- the fuel actually cools the pump by flowing through it and also allowing the pump to 'heat soak' to the fuel by surrounding the casing. I'd probably be willing to bet you've actually never even dropped your fuel tank before.

2) I wasn't saying you were wrong. I was merely adding to your comment. People don't typically apply common sense to things they don't bother to understand. You buy a coffee at McDonald's-- sip it immediately and get pissed off because it's hot. Hence, they put a warning on the cup. You say shift at low RPMs. I say don't shift too low, that's all.

Closed Thread