Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Rough idle for three minutes only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Dec 2010, 11:43 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Rough idle for three minutes only.

I'll assume I need to replace my plugs and wires at this point; but they were replaced by the dealer 20,000 miles ago--so I was going to wait until I reached 30,000 miles before doing the job myself this time.

But ... I have to get the car smogged pretty soon, and I've heard so much on this forum about stock OEM wires that I'm thinking they may be the cause of my problem.

The problem is this: I've noticed a slight--very, very slight--roughness at idle the past few weeks, but I'll turn off the defrost, and the hesitation would go away. But this morning, my wife started up the PT (2003 Limited Edition/Automatic 68,000 miles), and she said the car was kinda rocking and running slower (which means to me that the idle was rough). The temperature outside was 45 degrees ... not warm, but not real cold, either. Anyway, by the time she got to the Victor Ave. stop sign (about three minutes from starting the car), the idle was fine. No rough idle.

I got home and started up the PT after she got back from the store and told me her story. The engine was warmed up then, of course; and I noticed no hesitation at all. So the problem seems to present itself only when the car has been sitting all night--and only till it warms up a little. It runs fine while cruising, by the way.

Like I said, I suspect the plugs, wires, or both. Has anyone else had such poor luck with the black OEM wires? I've read on the forum that they're inferior wires, but I've never had to change wires after just 20,000 miles on any other car I've owned.

Tim
Old 21 Dec 2010, 10:07 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Rough idle for three minutes only.

On our '08 I changed both, (Autolite plugs and Crane wires) at 500 miles because of a hesitation and haven't had the hesitation since, now have 35,000 miles still runs like a "Swiss watch".

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar