PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Hello from the UK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Dec 2010, 06:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Hello from the UK

Hi,
I have a 2001 2.0 auto PT Cruiser,had it for about two years with no major issues. I replaced the radiator myself (first one I've done) last summer. Since then there has been a gurgling water noise after a run when you turn the engine off.It's never over heated so we just left it.

The weather here is crap and we have alot of snow here,the heater wasn't getting overly hot so I thought it may be connected with the gurgling water noise. Took the filler cap offand topped the water up,only needed a small bit but left the engin running and it turned into a fountain of hot water. Someone said it might be air in it but I have no idea how to check if its that and how to fix it ?
Just used the car for a few miles and after topping it up the heater worked great,still gurgling noises like it's about to blow !

I forgot to say,the temp gauge stays in the middle and it doesn't over heat
Any help please
Cheers
Old 21 Dec 2010, 08:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Hello from the UK

If it like ours over here, just below the neck of the radiator is a bleed off valve that will bleed the air for you.

Welcome to the Forum.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 22 Dec 2010, 01:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Do you think thats all it needs,I was concerned about the head gasket going but there is no water in the oil etc,it's not over heating looking at the temp gauge.
Is it an easy job to bleed it,any advise would be helpfull.

Thanks again
Old 22 Dec 2010, 01:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

First run your car until the thermostat opens and then just loosen the valve and let the engine run until coolant runs out of the bleed off valve, you may have to do it 2 or 3 times to get all of the air out.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 22 Dec 2010, 05:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I could really do with some more help with this if anyone has experience of it.
2.0 litre auto cruiser 2001 - 124,000 miles
coolant was topped up 3 weeks ago by a garage where it had an MOT test done which is a roadworthyness test in the uk.
It doesn't over heat and there always looks like there is a full radiator of water when you take the cap off. There are lots of bubbling noises when driving along but the temp gauge sits in the middle and doesn't over heat. There is no sludge on the dip stick for the oil and the radiator cap also has no sludge on it. I took the cap off last night and left it running for a while and it was like a geyser shooting boiling water out of the ground !
I don't know if it's the head gasket - radiator cap - something else ??? Please help before I am ripped off at a garage for 600 that I have been quoted if it's the head gasket.
Thanks
Old 22 Dec 2010, 06:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

It doesn't overheat. Oil looks good. Temperature gage stays in the middle. All that's wrong is the gurgling noise.

Basically, the coolant doesn't boil (gurgling noise) if the system is filled to the top of the radiator and filled to the proper line in the overflow tank with no air trapped anywhere in the system. Any air, anyplace, will lower the boiling point to where your hearing the gurgling noise.

We don't have the 2.0 ltr engine in the U.S. but if it works the same, like Hooligan said, you need to use the bleed valve near the thermostat a couple times to get rid of any trapped air.

Now speaking of other things...you have 124,000 miles. Has the timing belt and water pump been changed? If not, the water pump could be on the way out and not circulating the coolant around the engine as it should.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 22 Dec 2010 at 06:52 pm.
Old 23 Dec 2010, 12:08 am
Senior Cruiser

Scorpio, I'll assume your bleed valve is where the 2.4 lt. bleed valve is located. To be exact, the bleed valve is located about seven inches below your radiator cap (which is, of course, nowhere near your radiator).

Your radiator cap attaches to your thermostat housing cover--that long pipe that is topped off by your radiator cap. Anyway, about seven inches down from the radiator cap--just below that long vertical pipe--there is a bleed screw. It looks like a small nipple (sorry if I'm giving you too much info. But I don't know how much you know, so I'll cover all the bases). It's hard to reach down to turn the bleed valve counterclockwise to open it, but hopefully you don't have Andre The Giant Hands.

Now you know where things are. Go out and buy a three-foot long length of clear one-quarter inch inside diameter tubing at an auto store. It need not be gasoline proof. Go home and let the PT's engine cool. Get a well-fitting wrench (if it's not well-fitting you WILL strip the hex-shape of the bleed valve while trying to loosen it, believe me) on the bleed valve and just crack it loose (counterclockwise, remember?). Now barely tighten the valve--just barely. Attach the three-foot long tubing to the end of the bleed valve's nipple. Push it on well. Thread the opposite end of the tubing down through the engine compartment to a drain pan.

Open the cap to your thermostat housing cover (the radiator cap, that is). Put it off to one side. Put a funnel into the hole. It's nice to have someone pour the 50/50 antifreeze/water solution into the hole very slowly as you put the wrench on the bleed screw and turn it counterclockwise until you see coolant (or a bubbly coolant/air mix) coming through the tube. Now keep slowly pouring the coolant until you see no more bubbbles coming into the clear hose.

Now, tighten the bleed valve till it stops turning--then just a little bit more. Not too tight, now. But ... nice and snug. Remove the tubing. Top off the coolant level to just below the filler neck of the thermostat housing cover tube. Put the radiator cap back on. Fill your overflow tank to one inch above the "Add" mark.

Start the engine and go for a ride. Go a few miles--watching your temp. gauge. Drive home and let the engine cool. Take off the radiator cap and top off your thermostat housing cover tube. Put the cap back on. You may have to add more coolant to your overflow bottle, as well.

Drive it to work the next day. When you get home, let the engine cool; take off the cap, and top off once more, if necessary. Check your level again in a week.

The coolant is poison and is attractive to pets. So dispose of it properly. Don't pour in in the sewer, either.

Tim