PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Read this if your Cruiser won't turn over...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Dec 2010, 08:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Read this if your Cruiser won't turn over...

My daughter's PT Cruiser suddenly wouldn't start last week. The problem was a part that turn the ignition switch. Based on the number of posts I've seen online, this is a common problem. According to Chrysler, the part is not serviceable and a complete column must be purchased. My mechanic was able to find and after market supplier that had the part for a Neon. He was able to adapt the part to the Cruiser and save me quite a bit of $$. Hopefully some of you can benefit from this info. Also, if you are having this problem, please do as I did and contact Chrysler to voice your displeasure. We should not be forced to replace and entire column assembly to fix a part that is prone to failure.
Old 22 Dec 2010, 05:33 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Read this if your Cruiser won't turn over...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgbrender View Post
Also, if you are having this problem, please do as I did and contact Chrysler to voice your displeasure. We should not be forced to replace and entire column assembly to fix a part that is prone to failure.
The PT is out of production. Chrysler is owned by FIAT. If it makes you feel better, give someone a call.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 22 Dec 2010, 12:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Better yet, contact the better business bureau and see if you can file a complaint with their auto arbitration group. I did it for a tranny that died prematurely but was out of warranty (not a PT) and Chrysler's response was to pay half my repair bill.
Old 23 Dec 2010, 03:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yeah, it's out of production but there are many still on the road still being serviced by Chrysler. Sure, it's owned by FIAT but it still exsists. My point in posting was to give others a heads up that this problem does not require a new column. The b**ching at the end was to make me feel better....
Old 23 Dec 2010, 04:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

What I'm trying to get at is; many owners have come here and tried to start a call-in for a recall on lots of things that have happening to the PT. Dash tops cracked, bearings and bushings die prematurely, tape stripes on the black bumper, chrome wheels peeling just to name a few. Unless whatever happens to the PT has something to do with someone possibly being hurt or killed, there's not going to be a recall and voicing your displeasure will make you feel better but nothing is going to happen.

Now to your case; Chrysler finds a lot of things non-serviceable because it's not worth the time for the mechanic to pull things apart. The same for the bushings on the control arms. Chrysler says they whole arm needs to be replaced as one unit. Loads of us have taken it apart and replaced the bushings on the old arm. Chrysler does what for them is the fastest way of dealing with a problem not worrying about the price.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.