Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Accelator/Cruise Control Cables

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Dec 2010, 11:32 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Accelator/Cruise Control Cables

Hello, everyone. Friday, I'm going to change out my plugs and plug wires. Previously, I had the upper manifold up ... a little ... when I changed my thermostat. At that time, I only had to lift up the mainifold enough to pull the upper radiator hose off the thermostat housing cover. I had a few problems with the upper manifold then:

The first, although Hayne's and the shop manual say to loosen and pull only the one 13mm bolt under the throttle body, my 2003 Limited non-turbo actually has another 13mm bolt attaching the throttle body (actually the back of the manifold) to the throttle body bracket. This second bolt is at the rear of the upper manifold. Since I didn't remove this second (unmentioned) bolt the first time I messed with the upper manifold, I was only able to lift the manifold a few inches. But that was enough to get to the upper radiator hose, as I've said. But now I need more space to change the plugs and plug wires--so I'll remove this unmentioned bolt, of course.

But I still have one teeny little problem: When I try to remove the accelerator and cruise control cables from the throttle arm lever, I can't seem to get enough slack in the cable to get turn it around in the throttle lever so that the slots line up to remove the cables. I don't want to leave the cables attached (like before when I changed the thermostat) because I want to lift the manifold much higher this time around.

Do the cables really need removal to change the plugs? And, if so, how do you finagle the cables around to get them to slide out of the slots in the throttle lever--without kinking up the cables? Is there a trick?

Anyone done this little trick? If so, can you tell me how you did it?

Thanks,

Tim
Old 22 Dec 2010, 11:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Accelator/Cruise Control Cables

Open the throttle with one hand,and work the cables off with the other! Not much to it.
Old 23 Dec 2010, 08:00 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Tim,

The throttle and cruise control cables don't have to be touched to lift the upper manifold while getting to the plugs and wires. The whole control and cables have enough slack to let the manifold tilt up to give enough room to change the plugs.

Read the sticky "Spark Plug Guide" in the Tech & Performance section or just listen to what I'm saying; don't touch the the cables, they will move up and out of the way when yo lift the manifold. The manifold can be lifted from the front about a foot giving you all the access you need to work. Use a bungee cord to hold the manifold up while you work.

Also, cover the holes in the lower manifold once you lift the upper manifold up. Something drops down into one of the lower ports and you'll have a heck of a time getting it out.

Now if you have a 2001 or 02, you have to take off the EGR pipe attached to the back of the manifold. That's a PITA itself with two different size bolts and not a lot of room to work.

One more thing, they might have changed things after my 2001, but my throttle body has three (3) bolts that attach the upper manifold to the throttle body. One on top, two at the bottom, so look closely before attempting to lift the upper manifold for all the bolts necessary to come out before lifting it up.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 23 Dec 2010 at 08:04 am.
Old 23 Dec 2010, 02:04 pm
Senior Cruiser

Crewzin, thanks for the tip about not having to remove the accelerator and cruise control cables. And you remove the throttle body from the upper manifold, from what I gather. Instead, I went the Hayne's method (also in the shop manual), where you remove the bolt holding the throttle body to the throttle body bracket. It seemed easier to me to go that route, but your way works, too. My way (Hayne's way), however, made no mention of the rear bolt attaching the manifold to another section of the throttle body bracket. This is why I could not lift the manifold a lot when I changed the thermostat. That rear bolt kept the manifold attached to the throttle body bracket--and I was lucky I didn't force the manifold upp too far, cause it would have ripped a nice crack in the back of my manifold. I suppose your method might be easier than reaching around and getting this second bolt off, but I may at least try to remove it. If it seems like a bugger, I'll go your route and simply remove the three bolts at the throttle body.

And I will certainly take a peek at the "Sticky" on this again--just to make sure I don't miss anything ....

Thanks,

Tim
Old 24 Dec 2010, 08:57 pm
Senior Cruiser

Well, Cruzin was right: I didn't have to remove the accelerator or cruise control cables. And the "Sticky" on spark plug replacement DOES mention the rear 13 MM bolt (and also shows a picture) that connects the throttle body bracket to the back of the manifold, as well as, the other 13mm bolt, located under the throttle body that I took out previously on another pull-the-manifold-project.

I got the job done. The only problem was the Napa Belden Wires I tried to use. Two of them would not seat on the plugs--and I was not able to push the wires further into the boots so that they would fit on the plug tops. I finally went all duct-tapey and tried needle nose pliers on the interior connection in the plug wires--but only managed to pull one out--and so then had to buy a new set (not the Napa ones!)

Tim