PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Spark Plug seats are oily.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Dec 2010, 04:21 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Spark Plug seats are oily.

Merry Christmas, Cruisers!

I'm changing the plugs and wires on my wife's 2003 Limited non-turbo, and when I pulled the plugs (which were not very tight at all, thankfully), the plug electrodes looked great--a nice grey-tan color. However, the plug seats in number 1,3 and 4 were oily, right where the plug is seated to the head. It was not a lot of oil, and the plug-tube seals seem to have no oil on them; nor the interiors of the plug tubes, themselves. And since the plug electrodes looked so beautiful (not fouled in the least), I can't figure where the oil is coming from.

The plugs were not very tight--just snug, really. I'm thinking because my PT (like most) uses oil between changes that I'm burning a little oil on the oily-necked plugs 1,2 and 3. And some of this oil is sneaking past my plug seats that weren't very tight--they didn't even seem like 13 lbs. But, as I said, the electrodes look beautiful.

Any theories as to what's going on?

I'll check back later. I'm going to put the new plugs in now.

Later,

Tim
Old 24 Dec 2010, 05:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Spark Plug seats are oily.

Tim,

The valve cover has 4 spark plug well seals. Sounds like they need to be changed.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 24 Dec 2010, 07:54 pm
Senior Cruiser

Crewzin, I had the plug seals changed on warranty (extended) by the dealer 22,000 miles ago. The original plug tube seals were leaking at that time (well, 1 and 2 were) and the caps of my plug wires were getting oily.

The funny thing is that I put my finger in each plug tube and there was no oil on the sides of the tube--nor any oil where the plug seals meet the rocker cover. I suppose there is just a very tiny leak in the three plug areas I mentioned, but it's odd that each plug tube seal is leaking so little. Yet, I can think of no other cause except the plug tube seals, either.

Anyway, I changed my plugs all right, but the Napa Brand Belden wires threw me for a loop. Two of the connections would not seat and "click" to the tops of the plugs (I used the right plugs, too). The directions on the wire set said if no audible "click" is heard, then it's necessary to push the plug wire further into the plug boot. Well, that didn't happen. I pushed and pushed and twisted and pushed. Then I finally got stupid and grasped the inside metal connector with a pair of needle-nose pliers. OFF comes the connection .... Busted!

So I go back to Napa to show them how it's impossible to "push" the plug wires through the boot, and they closed early for Christmas. Then I went to Auto Zone and settled for a set of Bosch Wires.

The Bosch fit right on with no trouble at all--requiring nothing more than snapping them in till I heard the click. It took about one minute.

So, so much for those "Blue" wires that everyone here seems to think are so wonderful. They may show fewer Ohms, but what good are they if you can't connect them?

I've changed plugs many, many times over the years and have never had this sort of problem with a set of plug wires. But it only takes one time for me to be burned ....

However, it's almost Christmas; the PT fired up and drove like it was new; and, as the narrator in "A Christmas Story" once said, "All is well with the world".

Happy Holidays,

Tim
Old 24 Dec 2010, 08:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

....and the same to you Tim.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.