Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2001 PT Clutch issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Dec 2010, 09:02 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2001 PT Clutch issues

I just had the clutch replaced in my 01 pt. The mechanic also replaced the slave cylinder. But after looking at it there is a bolt sticking in the slave cylinder that looks like that was what he was trying to use to bleed? Anyways the clutch doesnt feel like its engaging the whole way. Its hard to get into gear if you can at all. And there isnt much pedal. I read somewhere that you have to replace the master cylinder also? Do you have to buy the master and slave together in a kit? Could the bolt he put in the slave cylinder be hurting something? I have idea what to do.
Old 26 Dec 2010, 09:31 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Re: 2001 PT Clutch issues

You should take it back to the mechanic and make him fix it for you.Regardless of what the problem is,if you pay someone to work on your car it should function properly when you get it back.
Old 26 Dec 2010, 09:34 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I agree with the above, fix it or pay money to you for someone else to fix it correctly.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 26 Dec 2010, 06:56 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

...I'm just a blathering idiot...

Last edited by Chromenut; 01 Jan 2011 at 05:51 am.
Old 28 Dec 2010, 08:42 am
Fresh Cruiser

the "mechanic" keeps telling me it needs to be driven and it will get better. I dont want to damage the clutch i just paid for. My dad owns a small dealership and knows about fixing cars but hes not a master mechanic or anything. Is there a different way to bleed these pt clutches?
Could that bold he put in the slave cylinder be letting air into the system? I really just want to be able to drive the car. My dad and I have had loads of ptcruisers and never had to put a clutch in one.
Old 28 Dec 2010, 06:43 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsoriano View Post
the "mechanic" keeps telling me it needs to be driven and it will get better. I dont want to damage the clutch i just paid for. My dad owns a small dealership and knows about fixing cars but hes not a master mechanic or anything. Is there a different way to bleed these pt clutches?
Could that bold he put in the slave cylinder be letting air into the system? I really just want to be able to drive the car. My dad and I have had loads of ptcruisers and never had to put a clutch in one.
Can you take a picture of this bolt that you are talking about?That way we will know exactly where it is.
Old 28 Dec 2010, 07:20 pm
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to srebik Send a message via MSN to srebik

chromenut I believe you are mistaken about bakes and clutch working off the same system.
they are similar system but I'm pretty sure they are completely seperate systems.

I'd have to go out and actually look under my hood and double check.
But I do know there are 2 completely seperate resivors one for brakes and one for the clutch.

and all other hydro clutch vehicles I've seen and worked on.
brake pedal was connected to it own master cyclinder and that went to the brake calipers or brake wheel cylingers.

while the clutch pedal was attached to its own clutch master cyclinder which went to its own clutch slave cylinder.

both are compltely seperate systems.
-------------

Now jsoriano. If you like you can replace the master CLUTCH cylinder but at this point in time I would just say thats a personal choice rather than a requirement.
they are usually sold seperately, but you might be able to find a kit that sells both for a bit cheaper.

as to this bolt on the slave cylinder.
one is located on top of the slave cylinder?
two does it appear to have a hole in the middle of it?
if so this is a bleeder screw(forget the techinal name for it) and is suppose to be there. look at your brake calipers and you will see one on each brake caliper on top of it.

as the name implies this is for bleeding.
get a box end wrench on the nut part.
attach a hose to the nipple.
stick other end of hose into the bottom of a coke bottle. fill coke bottle with 1-2 inches of brake fluid. make sure the end of the hose stays sumerged in this brake fluid through this whole procedure or it will just take longer and use more brake fluid than is needed.
take top off of clutch resivor and fill with brake fluid
loosen (open) the bleed screw. have someone pump the clutch pedal (you might need to use your hand)
keep pumping until no air bubbles come out of the end of the hose.
make sure the clutch resivor does not get more than half way empty, keeping this level in mind you wont accidently go so low that you end up pumping the clutch dry and have to do the entire procedure over again.

once bubbles stop coming out of hose tighten the bleed screw BEFORE you take the hose off.
fill clutch resivor to required level.
drive car see if this has helped.

bleeding a clutch system is the same thing as bleeding a brake system, just a much smaller system with only one bleeder screw instead of four.

If nothing changes, something else could possibly be wrong. or maybe a new clutch does need a break in period....but to be perfectly honest I don't think they do.

2003 Dark Blue Non-Turbo Pt Cruiser w/ 5 speed