Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Oil-Engine Light, Squeal sound at start up

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Dec 2010, 02:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question Oil-Engine Light, Squeal sound at start up

Hi there, I am new here I bought my car new too..

I've got 2.0L PT CRUISER.. I got problems with it and I dont know that cars so much..

2001 2.0 PT with auto at 60K miles.. 100.000km

First My car starts with Squeal sound at first 5 seconds then it goes..
But I noticed when I drive it tight it can be heard when shifting upper gear
What might be the problem??

And when I turn the engine ON (before start) There is an orange Engine Light and Red Oil Light Stays.. But After I start the engine they disappear.. I checked the Codes and it says DONE.. Oil Level is ok too..
Any ideas??

Waiting for you help..

Last edited by firebirdcabrio; 26 Dec 2010 at 02:56 pm.
Old 26 Dec 2010, 03:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Oil-Engine Light, Squeal sound at start up

Welcome to the forum.

We don't have the 2.0 liter engine in the U.S. but most of the problems are the same. First, the lights you have (engine/oil) before the engine starts is normal. As long as they go away when the engine starts, there's nothing to worry about.

Second, the squealing sound is probably from your drive belt. There's a wheel called the tensioner that's supposed to keep tension on the belt and that could be having a problem. It could also be the alternator belt which is a separate belt for the alternator and that might need adjusting.

If you nothing about cars, you need to take it to a trusted mechanic to pin-point the exact cause of the squealing.
Old 26 Dec 2010, 06:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question Re: Oil-Engine Light, Squeal sound at start up

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Welcome to the forum.

We don't have the 2.0 liter engine in the U.S. but most of the problems are the same. First, the lights you have (engine/oil) before the engine starts is normal. As long as they go away when the engine starts, there's nothing to worry about.

Second, the squealing sound is probably from your drive belt. There's a wheel called the tensioner that's supposed to keep tension on the belt and that could be having a problem. It could also be the alternator belt which is a separate belt for the alternator and that might need adjusting.

If you nothing about cars, you need to take it to a trusted mechanic to pin-point the exact cause of the squealing.
Thank you for your kindly response sir! I am from worldwide TURKEY.. I got Transam know V8 LT1 but a bit stranger for Chrysler and its 2.0L engine..

*I was afraid there is a problem with my cars Oil Pump etc.. because the Oil and Engine Light stays till I start the engine.. (other lights go away before the engine starts, that is why I confused). And I noticed when I turn the key on position, there is 5-10 Chime sound after that stops, There is ONE CHIME sound is hear. Why that happens any relation with that lights?

**By the way I forgot to say, my car idle at 350-400rpm without stalling or dying.. is that normal for 2.0L engine? I asked the serviceman he said the pcm set this it is normal its because of manufacturer set the Low idle for economy.. is that true?

***Drive Belt is including Timing Belt too?
And I had checked the Belt system to car service.. And they said that Car has no protect for Drive belts so when it get dirty it squeals.. They confused me because there is no rain or snow about 1-2 weeks but it still Loud squeal sound at first start for 4-5 seconds.. it is disturbing..

By the way, is that PT cruiser engine parts same with Dodge Neon 2.0L? Like timing kit tensioner etc? I see lots of part for 2.4L version but not for 2.0L EU Version.. :/

Last edited by firebirdcabrio; 26 Dec 2010 at 07:09 pm.
Old 26 Dec 2010, 07:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Oil-Engine Light, Squeal sound at start up

Welcome again. I don't think we've ever had someone on the from from Turkey.

As I said, we don't have the 2.0 liter engine so I can't answer any of your questions on that engine or if it's the same as your Neon.

Like I did say, as least over here. If the lights go out after the engine starts, there's nothing to worry about. It's when the lights stay ON that you have to worry.

The idle is controlled by the computer and maybe they did set it low for fuel economy over there, I really can't say. Over here the idle is around 700-800rpm's.

The DRIVE belts are different from the Timing belt. You have the serpentine belt that goes around the main pulley, A/C, air pump (if you have one) and power steering. Then there's the single belt that goes around the main pulley and the alternator. They are covered pretty much from dirt and debris so your mechanic just doesn't want to get into uncovering the belts to take a look at what may be wrong.