Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Cruise Control ding!/cut-off ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Dec 2010, 11:28 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Cruise Control ding!/cut-off ...

Hello, everyone. My wife just drove her sister home--a trip of about 250 miles, each way. On the way there, she turned on the cruise control, and it did its thing. A few times she'd tap the brakes when she had to slow down, then she'd hit "Resume" and the cruise control would respond. Then, after a while, all of a sudden, she hears a single "Ding!" and the cruise control cuts off all by itself. She drove the rest of the way using her foot on the gas pedal (oh, the horror!).

Anyway, on the way back home, her foot starts to complain, so she turns on the cruise control again--and it worked just fine all the way home.

Has anyone had any weird problem like this with their cruise control?

I just replaced the plugs and plug wires two days ago. Naturally, I lifted up the upper manifold--but not very much ... not near enough to stretch the cruise control cable or accelerator cable.

BTW, the car ran like new all the way--except for this ding/cruise control cut-off issue.

Any theories?

Tim
Old 27 Dec 2010, 01:36 am
Veteran Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to WolfmanG
Default Re: Cruise Control ding!/cut-off ...

wow. i use my cruise control all the time, even in the city as long as it's 35mph or more, but i've never come across anything like that. I've had my Eve since Feb. oh, welcome to the site by the way. Once thing we could suggest is if it ever happens again, do the key dance, as we call it, and see what codes come up. if you don't know what i mean, here's a link you can use, Error Codes
Old 27 Dec 2010, 05:49 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Tim,

I did some searching and there could be a number of reasons why the cruise shut itself off because there's a number of different things that come into play when the cruise is on.
On the PT, if your in AUTO STICK mode, the cruise only works in 3rd and 4th gear. If the brake switch is a little too sensitive, it can cut the cruise off.

It seems the computer did it on purpose if it gave you the warning (with the ding). Maybe the speed lowered that much that cruise no longer works. I think it's about 35mph that you have to be to engage the control. I've never heard of the warning ding before for the cruise control but like the turn signal warning ding if you leave it on too long, most people don't ever hear it.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 27 Dec 2010, 01:58 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

The cruise control does not ding. A chime (ding) indicates a warning light in the cluster. Depending on which light was on and the fault, the cruise control could have been shut off by the computer. You need to keep an eye on the warning lights to see if any of them are on or coming on.
Old 27 Dec 2010, 04:29 pm
Senior Cruiser

Talking Re: Cruise Control ding!/cut-off ...

the cruise control on my 06 will work at 26 mph and up the ding you heard happened to me when i was cruising along and the dummy sitting beside me unbuckles his seat belt i did not know this until the DING happened i hit the brake which disegaged the cruise i look at the dash and see the seat belt warning light.after my blood pressure went back to normal i told him to buckle up.(little holiday humor) we all need some
Old 27 Dec 2010, 08:37 pm
Senior Cruiser

Cruizin, I don't think I have an "AutoStick" in my 2003 LE. It's just a regular automatic transmission. And my wife was on the freeway at the time, so I don't think she got below the minimum speed for cruise control. But I'm going to ask her how fast she was going at the time when she gets home.

I'm going to try the key dance to see if I get any stored codes; Heife might have a point, there. But Mity made me think: my sister-in-law is a very large woman--so large, she may not have put her seat belt on, at all. We always belt up; but I've noticed previously when we had a Ford F-150 that she carried a seat belt extender in her purse. I'll also ask my wife if her sister was belted in because I don't know if she got an extender for the PT, or not.

Thanks, everyone.

Tim
Old 27 Dec 2010, 10:11 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to WolfmanG

Quote:
Originally Posted by mityqwik View Post
the cruise control on my 06 will work at 26 mph
lucky
Old 27 Dec 2010, 10:26 pm
Senior Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: Cruise Control ding!/cut-off ...

i am because when i drive on a military base and the speed is 25 and i know it will be a long road i use it keeps me from getting a ticket they love to use the radar on base
Old 27 Dec 2010, 11:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool Re: Cruise Control ding!/cut-off ...

I've used the Cruise Control for 30 mph around here in the neighborhood some.
But, I have occassionally (once every couple of months) had the control not respond well to "resume" for about 60-65 mph. When it does that, I simply turn it off, then back on again, and everything seems to work fine.
(that's the 2006 base model na)

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 28 Dec 2010, 07:59 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Geeesh. Why are you guys so hung up on where the cruiser control starts working? I said "I think" it's about 35mph and now the conversation has turned to "who can go the lowest" instead of helping Tim with his problem.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.