Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
harder to shift automatic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Dec 2010, 11:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question harder to shift automatic

i just noticed its harder to shift my 2007 pt automatic...any ideas? that is from park to reverse or drive.....or to park..its just stiffer to move stick
Old 27 Dec 2010, 01:20 am
Veteran Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to WolfmanG
Default Re: harder to shift automatic

welcome to the site. but i have an 07 Touring Ed, and i don't have any prob's with sifting. Even when i power shift everything is smooth. do you feel it pop when you shift out of park,reverse or drive?
Old 27 Dec 2010, 07:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

theres no noise and the car still shifts ok,its just noticably harder to move the stick.....im thinking maybe there is some sort of linkage goin out? i just changed motor mounts myself could this have any thing to do with it?but that was like a month before this started......
Old 27 Dec 2010, 09:00 pm
Senior Cruiser

Tron, I assume you checked the fluid level--and fluid quality, right? That's probably the culprit in most auto trans problems.

If it's cold outside and you don't want to warm up the car that much to check the fluid, just start it up--wait 60 seconds--and then check the "COLD" part of the dip stick. If it's near the full mark, you're okay. If you want to drive it--about ten or so miles--then check the dipstick's upper "HOT" marks.

Tim
Old 29 Dec 2010, 01:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

This started happening to me, and my gear selector and the shift linkage disconnected. It wasnt bad at first but it kept happening more and more often and finally the plastic frame that the shift linkage hooks up to broke. Replaced the gear selector and the shift linkage almost broke that one too.

To check your shift linkage:

take off your center console
just a few screws

unhook the shift linkage from your gear selector
i found it alot easier to take of the gear selector's cover which are a few small torx screws, my guess is T25, i forget which one i exactly used. You can take to shifter nob off with a small allen key.

The linkage just comes right off. Its the black tubed cable, the small cable is your neutral/park safety switch.

see if you can pull the linkage by hand. A good one you can, a bad one you cant. If its hard to pull id consider getting a new linkage

I got one from my local junkyard for $5
Old 29 Dec 2010, 05:29 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Had that problem with my emergency brake, got really stiff or seemed to lock.