Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2005 PT Cruiser Battery Issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Dec 2010, 10:02 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2005 PT Cruiser Battery Issue

I have a major dilemma that I need advice on.

I found heavy blue corrosion on my battery over the weekend to the point that the battery was drained. I cleaned it off the only way I knew, which was pouring Coke on it. It cleaned it up pretty good, however it seemed to corrode the negative bolt attached to the post. So, when I tried to remove it, it basically smoothed the bolt out.

I took it to the local Wal Mart that had a battery for it, and they would not work on it saying there is a wire that travels underneath it and they could not replace it.

So, I'm stuck.. I need a battery which Wally World has, but I also need the negative clamp/bolt. The dealership wants $170 for battery/cable/installation which I think is absolutely mind blowing.

Does anyone have any suggestions on the battery cable portion of this? Anything I can do myself so that I don't spend hundreds?

Thanks in advance
Old 27 Dec 2010, 10:11 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2005 PT Cruiser Battery Issue

...I'm just a blathering idiot...

Last edited by Chromenut; 01 Jan 2011 at 05:39 am.
Old 27 Dec 2010, 11:18 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the reply.

I'm definitely not going for anything over $100. In fact, I found the battery at Wal Mart for $48.00. If I can snip the clamp/connectors and put on new ones, then it should be something I could do then. I was hoping I'd hear some good news out of this.. heh. Thanks!
Old 27 Dec 2010, 11:27 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Old 27 Dec 2010, 01:49 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Ugh.... Just went out during my lunch break to look at the negative cable and it seems that the corrosion is to the cable itself. When you changed it, did you clip it and then crimp a new post terminal to it? AutoZone has the terminal posts for roughly $4/$5 so thats not a biggie.
Old 27 Dec 2010, 09:12 pm
Senior Cruiser

Hill. Bad news: you have to change the wiring harness. You can't just crimp on those $5.00 clamps to your old cables. You can do it yourself and save a lot of money--compared to the dealer. I think there are "Stickys" on this forum that show you how.

It's odd, my positive cable was the one that really needed replacement--and it has leads to the starter and other parts. The negative (ground) wire was pretty much okay. I've never seen a ruined negative ground cable.

One thing for sure: Spray CRC Battery Protector on the cable ends when all is done--or you'll have the problem again. I've tried other brands of battery protector sprays--and those silly red and green rings--but nothing works like CRC (it's in a yellow spray can).

Tim
Old 27 Dec 2010, 09:18 pm
Senior Cruiser

Talking Re: 2005 PT Cruiser Battery Issue

i use crc battery protive spray on my golf cart battery's and it works great better than 90% of the items on the market,if you cant find the spray NAPA carries there brand also and is excellent.
Old 28 Dec 2010, 01:23 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Old 28 Dec 2010, 06:19 pm
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to srebik Send a message via MSN to srebik

As for protectant spray I don't know the brand we used at toyota but when applied it was a red sticky spray and it worked very well as well.

they also had an acid eater spray that when it came out it foamed up as a yellow foam and turned red where it was eating away at acid.....good stuff as well same brand as the protectant spray.

I don't see why you couldn't cut the corded part of the wire off and install a new crimp connector as long as it still reached the battery with some slack in it it should be fine shouldn't it?

Do you guys have any advise on deep cycle batteries?
Soon I will need a new battery as it is starting to sometimes have more than normal difficulty starting the car so I know its getting close to time to replace.
I was thinking about a deep cycle Optima battery(I know those are expensive).
For the reason that we do alot of short trips with the car (work is only 10-20 minutes away depending on traffic, still driven on freeway but I don't think its enough time to give the battery a decent charge).
Also both me and my roommate (we share the car and during our breaks and lunch we like to go out and sit in the car and listen to music instead of go into the breakroom at work....another reason a deep cycle would be a good choice.
We also like to sometimes go to the drive-in theater (its cheaper than normal movie theaters) so there's another perfectly good reason for a deep cycle battery.
Also the car has an aftermarket alarm system, this is a very small drain but I'd like to have a little extra insurance with a battery built for deep cycle usage.

Off topic but still electrical related:
Has anyone had problems with the charging capabilities of the stock alternator?
At night I've noticed with the lights on when I apply the brakes and the break lights come on that the headlights appear to become dimmer.
samething if I turn the blinkers on, the interior dome light on, or other elctrical devises on; the head lights appear to get dimmer (and these head lights arent very bright to begin with).

I haven't gone checking connections mostly because at this point in time its more of a nusance than a problem, and I'll admit I'm lazy LOL.
If its the alternator this might also be why the battery at times doesn't seem to be getting charged. I'd be curious to know if anyone has had similar problems?
did you just replace the stock alterntor?
Or did you get your alterntor rewound so that it produces more amps than the stock one?
How did each one appear/seem/feel to perform?

Sorry I don't mean to thread jack but this is similarly related and don't think a completely new thread is nessicary.

2003 Dark Blue Non-Turbo Pt Cruiser w/ 5 speed
Old 29 Dec 2010, 06:46 pm
Senior Cruiser

Chrome, my positive lead was too short to cut off the old one and put new clamps on--so I assumed that all of us had the same problem. I looked at your photo and it looks as though you did alright with your cut/crimp job; so if I ever have the same problem, I'll go your route. It's way cheaper than a new wiring harness. Also, my positive lead was very corroded (into the wires). I didn't know how deep it got. It was a mess.

Tim