PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Overheating problem solved!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Dec 2010, 02:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Smile Overheating problem solved!!!

Hi everyone,
I took my PT to the mechanic, and it turns out the fan has 3 speeds it runs on. One for idling (fast), one for city driving(medium speed), and the last for highway driving(very slow). The fast and medium speeds blew out, so the highway speed was the only speed the fan went. The mechanic also found that the upper and lower engine mounts are broken. This explains the shudder I have during morning start ups. The downer, it's about $750 for all the parts and labor, but I'm glad i'm paying that much to improve my PT. Old petey will be back on the road in no time!
Old 27 Dec 2010, 02:48 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Re: Overheating problem solved!!!

Anybody else know of 3 RUNNING speeds for the fan? What model is this?

My experience is 3 speeds, off, slow, and fast. Driving over, I think, 45 mph allows enough wind to blow through (unless you have a 45mph tail wind I guess ) that to power the fan would only further restrict the flow.

Remove your hood, get somebody to tie himself to the frame somehow and sit on the motor and monitor the fan as you go down the highway.
Give him a good tie wrap and a flashlight. He can put the tie wrap in the fan and listen to the tone and determine speed of the fan. My bet is that you will see the fan move based on vehicle speed , and so air pressure fronm the grille, over the 45mph.

OK, so that was a joke, you can let your neighbor or kid off the hook.

I have had my share of fan problems on my 2002 and son's 2005. Most of what I have seen is (in this order) bad connections (I now solder them), bad brushes/windings/bearings, broken fan frame, and a bad relay; ymmv of course.

I would warn anybody though to definitely take care of ANY fan or other cooling problems because it doesn't take much to warp a head enough to blow a head gasket... and that ain't cheap either.

I need to look again at my mounts. The lower mount, I think it is called a thrust rod or some such, has some cracks (or worse now ).

So do I just slap 'em in there or is there some adjustment on the lower?

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, may God have mercy on us all through
the coming year!

The Ant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptguy69 View Post
Hi everyone,
I took my PT to the mechanic, and it turns out the fan has 3 speeds it runs on. One for idling (fast), one for city driving(medium speed), and the last for highway driving(very slow). The fast and medium speeds blew out, so the highway speed was the only speed the fan went. The mechanic also found that the upper and lower engine mounts are broken. This explains the shudder I have during morning start ups. The downer, it's about $750 for all the parts and labor, but I'm glad i'm paying that much to improve my PT. Old petey will be back on the road in no time!
Old 27 Dec 2010, 03:35 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Your mechanic is mistaken. The fan is only a 2 speed fan. Off is not a speed, so there's off, low, and high.

The fan speed is not determined by vehicle speed, but by coolant temperature. If the vehicle is traveling above 44mph, the low speed fan will not come on at all. Only the high. The high speed fan comes on at highway speeds when the coolant reaches a temperature of 219 degrees with the a/c off, or 180 degrees with the a/c on.
Old 27 Dec 2010, 04:03 pm
Senior Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: Overheating problem solved!!!

i regards to the upper and lower motor mounts i replaced the lower one 3 times 1st and 2nd time i did not realize that the upper motor mount was broken i caught it at the 3 replacment time of the lower mount. now on another forum i came across a discussion about INSERTS for these motor mounts here is the web site Prothane Motor Mount Inserts 00-05 Neon , i have been told that you will feel a big difference in the feel of the engine either bad or good i dont know maybe some one here can let us know more .
so far since i replaced both at the same time(3rd) they have not broke in 8 months ,i do have a heavy foot so maybe this will last
Old 28 Dec 2010, 12:15 am
Young Cruiser

Sorry for the jocular reply. What you say is indeed true. I guess I play too much...

As far as the vehicle speed though, what I was saying was that an energized fan motor will run at its own speed, high or low as you say. A free spinning fan will pass more air at certain speeds if simply allowed to spin. Having no fan in traffic, on city streets, or at idle can be a nasty thing. Been there, done that.

When I had a bad fan that was intermittent, I could drive down the highway just fine. In town or when I headed to Houston, any traffic slowdown kept me on edge to say the least.

Anyhow, if you know what you are doing, you can energize relays or bypass them to make the fan run as a check of wiring and fan function.

heifetz17, thanks for "grounding" me, heh. I sometimes play when folks are serious and need help. You did a fine concise job, kudos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by heifetz17 View Post
Your mechanic is mistaken. The fan is only a 2 speed fan. Off is not a speed, so there's off, low, and high.

The fan speed is not determined by vehicle speed, but by coolant temperature. If the vehicle is traveling above 44mph, the low speed fan will not come on at all. Only the high. The high speed fan comes on at highway speeds when the coolant reaches a temperature of 219 degrees with the a/c off, or 180 degrees with the a/c on.
Old 28 Dec 2010, 12:24 am
Young Cruiser

Thanks for the heads up on the upper mount. As I recall it isn't so easy to see the rubber... not sure though. The lower is pretty easy to see as I recall.

Was the broken upper mount ruining your new lower each time you replaced it or did you suspect a bad part off the shelf? How many of y'all replace both regardless?

The Prothane looks like the same material (maybe different density/hardness) that I used on my bushings. I like the difference. They certainly look easy to install.

Thanks for the lead!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mityqwik View Post
i regards to the upper and lower motor mounts i replaced the lower one 3 times 1st and 2nd time i did not realize that the upper motor mount was broken i caught it at the 3 replacment time of the lower mount. now on another forum i came across a discussion about INSERTS for these motor mounts here is the web site Prothane Motor Mount Inserts 00-05 Neon , i have been told that you will feel a big difference in the feel of the engine either bad or good i dont know maybe some one here can let us know more .
so far since i replaced both at the same time(3rd) they have not broke in 8 months ,i do have a heavy foot so maybe this will last
Old 28 Dec 2010, 12:32 am
Senior Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: Overheating problem solved!!!

the 3rd and finale time when i replaced the lower mount i had a friend of mine hit the gas a little and back off and watching the engine idle down or when he applied the brakes that engine was moving witch it was not supposed to so i got a mirro and look at the upper mount and there was very little rubber left.when the engine idle down or hit the brakes you could hear the upper mount bolt hit metal but its FIXED NOW so now i will try the inserts and make them solid if it does not feel right i will remove them
Old 28 Dec 2010, 12:40 am
Obsessed Cruiser

...I'm just a blathering idiot...

Last edited by Chromenut; 01 Jan 2011 at 05:49 am.
Old 28 Dec 2010, 01:09 am
Young Cruiser

You're smarter'n me then. I had the cam connected to the control arm... just seemed so convenient. My neck has been sore for a week watching that video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromenut View Post
I velcro'd my digicam to the strut tower bar to record my engine while driving, had worries about the engine mounts but so far I can't see anything wrong with them.
Old 28 Dec 2010, 01:28 am
Young Cruiser

I wonder if that is eating my fan frame...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mityqwik View Post
the 3rd and finale time when i replaced the lower mount i had a friend of mine hit the gas a little and back off and watching the engine idle down or when he applied the brakes that engine was moving witch it was not supposed to so i got a mirro and look at the upper mount and there was very little rubber left.when the engine idle down or hit the brakes you could hear the upper mount bolt hit metal but its FIXED NOW so now i will try the inserts and make them solid if it does not feel right i will remove them

Tags
chrysler, engine, fix, overheating, repair