Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
I'm trying to love my PT, really I am :(

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Dec 2010, 05:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy I'm trying to love my PT, really I am :(

I bought an 07 PT cruiser in 2007, brand new and I've had trouble with it ever since 20,000 miles....the top of the motor had to be rebuilt twice between 20k and 40k miles.....ran pretty good for about 10k more miles, kept up on the maintenance, oil changes and tires....suddenly at about 60k, got the rough idle every one talked about, dealer had changed spark plugs and wires at 40k and when we checked them, guess what? Dealer did NOT change them, they were the original ones....replaced them....now my drivers window is stuck down, idle is still off a bit AND my engine light is back on, can't keep oil in this car.....I'm at my wits end....I really, really WANT to love my PT, it just won't let me.....talk about high maintenance! Geesh.....
Old 27 Dec 2010, 06:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: I'm trying to love my PT, really I am :(

Actually, if you break down what you said, a lot has nothing to do with the PT, but bad maintenance and mechanical repair done by the dealer or whoever rebuilt the engine. You don't say what the engine light is and not being able to keep oil in the car could have a lot to do with your rebuild that you had to have done twice. The idle being "off" needs more explanation. The only thing that may be the PT's fault is the window that's stuck in the down position.
Old 27 Dec 2010, 11:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool Re: I'm trying to love my PT, really I am :(

IF I had that much going wrong, I think I might be looking into my state's "Lemon Law" for new vehicles.
Even though this is a PT enthusiast site, we have to admit that that a few times out of every million, there has to be some "lemons".
(Especially if a dealer did not do adequate repairs)
Just sayin'

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 27 Dec 2010, 11:45 pm
Senior Cruiser

If you researched like you said you did, you'd also know that OEM wires are horrible. What did you think the dealer was going to install? The top end issue is more than likely due to poor maintenenance.

Sometimes if you want something fixed you have to do it yourself. Pull the codes off the motor ("key dance") and post the code on here. We'll look the code up for you, provide suggestions based on the code, and you'll be good to go. No sense in paying the dealer for them to tell you info you can get for free. Bad idle could've just been a vacuum line issue, yet they charged you for parts when it was a 5-minute fix..

Old 28 Dec 2010, 12:45 am
Obsessed Cruiser

...I'm just a blathering idiot...

Last edited by Chromenut; 01 Jan 2011 at 05:44 am.
Old 28 Dec 2010, 08:12 am
Regular Cruiser

Guys, we get one of these posts every month or so.

A guy with 1 or 2 posts complains about his PT and Chrysler, usually after owning it for years and tens of thousands of miles. TONS of problems. Yet they have never posted on this site. I don't buy it. They are trolls trying to stir up problems and badmouth the car and Chrysler.
Whipple Supercharger, BTG springs, Tokico shocks/struts, B&M short shifter, chrome GT 17" wheels, darkened tail lights, Chrome Grille, fuel door and vent knobs, painted bumpers, mirrors, airdam and center console, cueball shifter, Polk audio system w/ XM, Magnaflow muffler
Old 28 Dec 2010, 10:10 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat1USMC View Post
Guys, we get one of these posts every month or so.

A guy with 1 or 2 posts complains about his PT and Chrysler, usually after owning it for years and tens of thousands of miles. TONS of problems. Yet they have never posted on this site. I don't buy it. They are trolls trying to stir up problems and badmouth the car and Chrysler.
Yep, and they usually make no sense when they report the problems. I mean don't get me wrong Chrysler has made some crappy products but the PT and the 2.4l engine ain't one of the them. This guy should go over to a 2.7 forum now that was a crappy sludge filled engine.

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 28 Dec 2010, 08:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Actually, some of us that "just joined" may have been reading as guests for a while and learning a lot, then have a question, not everyone's a troll.

Then some people aren't sure how to ask or phase a question and the information you, the experts need, so you can cut a little slack if you like, until someone has proved to be an obvious troll.

See, I posted a question on someone else's thread today, knowing that regulars on boards get pissy (yes, even me on my boards), if they get asked the same question in new threads over and over, so I consider that I've been considerate, at least I hope I have, so even though I want a quick answer and I'm not very knowledgeable, I'll just wait and see if I get answered and hope I'm not considered a troll.

I'm also annoyed beyond measure with Chrysler today, but that doesn't make me a troll or trouble maker either, just a really, really disappointed consumer.

Just sayin...

Chezz
:-)
Oh and please excuse any wacko auto-corrections my device has made and I don't catch... It can be pretty funny or just out and out confusing sometimes.
Old 28 Dec 2010, 09:29 pm
Senior Cruiser

You just need to explain your issues better if you want any actual advice, maybe a service history of your PT like what was rebuilt and what do you mean you can't keep oil in the car? And how about the engine light code?

The only advice I can give you so far is to find a new mechanic or a different dealer.

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 28 Dec 2010, 11:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Oh, I wasn't the OP, but that's great advice for her?him?

:-)