PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
oil light on at start up beyound reg time.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Dec 2010, 05:34 pm
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to srebik Send a message via MSN to srebik
Default oil light on at start up beyound reg time.

This is intermitent.

Its happened enough times now for me to feel a bit of concern.
Roughly 6 to 7 times in the past 2 months, the car gets driven pretty much several times daily.

vehicle is 2003 non-turbo (or naturally aspirated) 5 speed pt cruiser.

this is what happens.

Go out to car start car.
car goes through its normal turn all the dash lights on and off.
The oil light stays on engine idles around 800-900 rpm so thats fine.
no strange smells or noises.

turn car off and immediately restart, oil light goes out as normal.
drive car, car feels and acts normal.

the other day while at work on my break decided to check the oil (something I do pretty regularly pretty much every or every other gasoline fill up).
car's been sitting for approximately 2 hours so its cold and the parking lot is relatively level.
oil is low but not out of the notched section on the dip stick. I went ahead and added a quart of oil.

last time I did an oil change I used a fram Xtended guard and mobil 1 synthetic advanced fuel economy 0w-20 oil.
it has been roughly a little over 7k miles since I did an oil change (yea I know it's late but untill recently I've been unemployed)

so anyone with any experience with something like this?
could there be sludge in my oil filter or something plugging my oil pick up/pump?
is the oil too thin?
personally I don't see this as a problem since I've used the same stuff in my 1975 GMC 350v8 pick up and the oil pressure appears normal.
I've also used this same oil in my 1984 toyota corolla sr5 and oil pressure was fine.
Also this has just been a recent development (its happened maybe 6 or 7 times in the last 2 or 3 months)
problem with the oil pump itself?
oil pressure sending unit malfunction?
gremlins?
paranoia?

I just bought the stuff needed for an oil change, wal-mart was out of the mobil 1 advanced fuel ecnomy stuff so I went ahead and bought a 5 qt jug of castrol edge 5w-30. and a fram extended guard pt cruiser turbo oil filter.

would it be a good idea to maybe get a can of sea foam and run some of it through my oil before the oil change?
I think i did that last oil change though. will have to double check my records.

Anyways sorry for my long winded account of the problem but I wanted to be as specific as possible.
Thanks for any advise and help adhead of time.

2003 Dark Blue Non-Turbo Pt Cruiser w/ 5 speed
Old 28 Dec 2010, 06:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: oil light on at start up beyound reg time.

this is just a guess btu id say Change the oil sending unit from what i have read they go bad a lot and can give false reading I have found that as long as the car has the right amount of oil that it dosent matter what kind the oil is NO i am not saying that the oil dosent matter but the sending unit dosent know what kin of oil it is it just knows if the pressure is low and then it send out a code that trips a light

so change the oil get a new sending unit and hope for the best
Old 28 Dec 2010, 07:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Old 28 Dec 2010, 09:38 pm
Senior Cruiser

Wow 0-20 oil that is really thin, also do you normally lose a quart of oil between changes? I would change the oil first because your due anyway and I would use 5w-30 synthetic and see if it goes away. If not than you need a sending unit most likely.

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by Dino; 29 Dec 2010 at 10:50 am.
Old 29 Dec 2010, 03:11 pm
Cool Cruiser

Well, I didn't even know you could get 0~20 oil,but, that's nothing new..lots of stuff I never heard of;
Maybe that oil is "tricking" the oil sender into thinking there is no pressure? Until it starts to warm a bit then it would change. How long will the light stay on? If it clears up after a few minutes then it might be the oil,but, the sender can't be that much $..so I would replace it to eliminate that as a possible cause.
Old 29 Dec 2010, 04:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

dont think i have ever heard of a 0 weight either and i dont knwo where he is btu in the winter even a 0-20W would be a tad thicker to start with and it still takes a few minutes to get the oil good and warm id change that sensor and then put in some 10w30--or 20w30--I go the other way and use a 10w40 in mine and when you change the oikl in a warm car the oil will actually FLY out of the drain hole no matter what weight you use
Old 29 Dec 2010, 04:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Mobil 1 came out with 0w20, 0w30 and 0w40 weight oils a few months ago. Even Wal-Mart is stocking it in the 5 qt containers.
Old 29 Dec 2010, 05:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

so is it just like a super thin oil?? i alwasy thought that a 10w40 had the 10weight for the cold starts and the 40 for when the engin is hot ?????
Old 29 Dec 2010, 05:39 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruserdad1976 View Post
so is it just like a super thin oil?? i alwasy thought that a 10w40 had the 10weight for the cold starts and the 40 for when the engin is hot ?????
Don't know if this will answer your question or not.....

https://www.mobiloil.com/usa-english...l_1_0w-30.aspx
Old 29 Dec 2010, 07:35 pm
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to srebik Send a message via MSN to srebik

Thank you crewzin for the picture and link

and 0w-20 oil is starting to become the oil put in by the manufacture on most of their top of the line sports cars.
I think the corvettes now come with 0w-20 from the factory.
back when I was in the auto service industry(roughly 4 years ago) the honda s2000 was getting 5w-20, as was the saturn ion redline/cobalt ss, too name a couple of cars that I was familar with.

cruserdad..... thanks for pointing me to the oil sending unit. its probably that.
I live in San diego California.....where its hot as hell 80% of the year. I have not purchased this oil because of needing a thin oil for cold climate I have purchased this oil because of its low friction, and decent price for a fully synthetic oil. reduce friction in a motor and you free up horsepower and efficeny. I've tried using a thicker oil back in my 1984 corolla when someone said they used a thicker oil in older motors cuz it fills in the larger gaps better creating a better seal and thus increasing torque. I immediately went back to this ultra thin oil because the next oil change because the car felt sluggish to me....could've been psychological but there ya have it part of the reason for my madness. And oil gets thinner when its hot. one reason why oil shoots out of a drain plug if the engine is hot compared to just poors out if the engine is cold. Also similar to taking a cold frying pan and putting some oil in it, move teh pan around the oil slides but slides slowly, put the pan on the fire for a few second then move the pan and the oil behaves almost like water.

dino....oil consumption varies. According to Chrysler it can consume up to 1 qt a month and still be within operational parameters....its never gotten close to that yet. But like I mentioned in the post I have used this same oil and weight (0w-20 synthetic) in my 1975 chevy 350 v8 and a 1984 toyota corolla 4ac engine, both engines were equiped from factory with oil pressure guages not dummy lights like we have now. and both showed immediate pressure and pressure changes. Oil consumption with both vehicles also varied, the 350 usualy burned the oil adn the 4ac usually leaked the oil. Also this is a recent thing, I have had the car since march of 2010, and I have just now noticed this intermeiate problem. it does not happen on a regular basis. (it has only happened around 7 or 8 times in the last 2 months). because of that I'm more inclined to think the oil pressure sending unit is either malfunctioning or a connection is loose somewhere.
and I will be performing an oil change when it stops raining and things dry up a bit....I have already bought the materials for it.

blade.....if I noticed it I could probably drive down the street and all the way to work with no problems and the light still on. When I have noticed the light I have never seen it go out by itself. though I have never sat there watching it for more than a few seconds. at which time when I do notice it I immediately turn the car off and then restart teh car and the light goes out as normal. So I don't think its anything to do with the thinness of the oil and it needing to warm up. Especially since I have just noticed this problem recently in the past couple of months. while I have had the oil in it for several months.....so it is probably teh sending unit or a loose connection.

thanks for everyones imput even if most of you think I'm crazy for using such a thin oil.
I'll look into the oil sending unit but Probably wont be replacing it this oil change. I'm more relieved that no one has had this problem before and it resulted in them needing a new motor or something else equally as harsh and out of my budget.

2003 Dark Blue Non-Turbo Pt Cruiser w/ 5 speed