Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Royal Purple Synthetic PS Fluid???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Jan 2011, 09:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Royal Purple Synthetic PS Fluid???

Is the Royal Purple Synthetic Power Steering Fluid good for the PT Cruiser?? I hear synthetic will make things last longer. Is anyone running Royal Purple Synthetic in their PS??
Old 06 Jan 2011, 09:15 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Royal Purple Synthetic PS Fluid???

Someone else will probably post about Royal Purple, but I use the recommended (for 2003+ I believe) Mopar ATF+4, which is synthetic trans fluid.
Old 06 Jan 2011, 07:48 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcr1016 View Post
Is the Royal Purple Synthetic Power Steering Fluid good for the PT Cruiser?? I hear synthetic will make things last longer. Is anyone running Royal Purple Synthetic in their PS??

I've put the Royal Purple transmission fluid in my power steering with no problem.

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 07 Jan 2011, 11:09 pm
Senior Cruiser

Castrol makes a good AFT+4, and it specifically mentions Chrysler vehicles. I'd go with that--or Mopar.

I like to put into my PT what the engineers say to put in it. Call me conservative, I suppose.

I suppose there's other stuff out there that people swear by, but all this stuff sort of reminds me of Mystery Oil (they still sell this stuff, by the way). People swear by that, too. But I don't care for mysteries--unless they're in print or film.

Tim
Old 08 Jan 2011, 01:18 am
Obsessed Cruiser

marvel mystery oil goes in my duramax every other fill up and in the 15 quart oil change along with a gallon of Lucas and 9 quarts of castrol EDGE it getts really expensive to do that oil change
Old 08 Jan 2011, 02:38 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcr1016 View Post
Oddly, using power steering fluid in a PT Cruiser power steering system will cause leaks. It's a little thinner than ATF.

The PT Cruiser power steering system was designed to use automatic transmission fluid, in the form of ATF+4. So it would be OK to use Royal Purple ATF+4, if they make it. But any ATF+4 is really going to be so close on to synthetic as to be that good. I use Valvoline, for what it's worth.

The Owners Manual will not lead you astray.
Old 08 Jan 2011, 08:02 pm
Senior Cruiser

What is a "duramax"?

Tim
Old 08 Jan 2011, 10:12 pm
Cool Cruiser

A "Duramax" is the brand name General Motors gives to the Isuzu V8 diesel engine that they put into 3/4 and 1 ton pickup trucks (and maybe some of the bigger trucks also, but I dunno for sure). It has a few differences from the V8 diesels put into actual Isuzu trucks worldwide, including that the GM version uses aluminum heads on a cast iron block, unless that has changed. The rest-of-world version is cast iron on cast iron. Once they got the bugs out of it, the setup has turned out to be pretty decent, and a bazillion times better than Ford's 6.0 liter V8 diesel was. Many, many people have trucks with the "Duramax" engines and really like them.

Our PT Cruiser could not even carry one in the cargo area as freight.
Old 08 Jan 2011, 10:34 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt42 View Post
A "Duramax" is the brand name General Motors gives to the Isuzu V8 diesel engine that they put into 3/4 and 1 ton pickup trucks (and maybe some of the bigger trucks also, but I dunno for sure). It has a few differences from the V8 diesels put into actual Isuzu trucks worldwide, including that the GM version uses aluminum heads on a cast iron block, unless that has changed. The rest-of-world version is cast iron on cast iron. Once they got the bugs out of it, the setup has turned out to be pretty decent, and a bazillion times better than Ford's 6.0 liter V8 diesel was. Many, many people have trucks with the "Duramax" engines and really like them.

Our PT Cruiser could not even carry one in the cargo area as freight.
Thanks and you are like 10000% correct the are a good strong engine you can chip them and tune them and they will carry whatever you can manage to hook on to I have said this many time that in europe they have the diesel version of out beloved PT and it getts awesome mph i think like in the 45-50mpg range so somebody tell me WHY We can have Chevy Ford and Dodge with BIG Hunking Diesel motors and NOT a PT Crusier

thanks for the explanation