Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
New brake pad install going bad!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Jan 2011, 07:01 pm
Young Cruiser

Default New brake pad install going bad!

Ok so i have changed brakes on several types of vehicles before so i am not new to this. The problem i am facing right now is this. With the caliper completely compressed and the new pads installed the bracket that holds the pads in place is not allowing me to put it on the rotor. The width of the pad and the bracket arm is about a 1/4 inch to thick and i have tried everything i can think of to get it to slide back on. Im not sure if this is coming off clearly but its like the brake pad is to fat and needs to be shaved a 1/4 inch. I of course wouldn't do something like that. Does anyone know what im talking about? Any help or advice is always appreciated.
Old 06 Jan 2011, 07:07 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Re: New brake pad install going bad!

Is this on the front or rear?I had the same problem with the rear pads on my 2000 Mustang GT.It turned out the pistons on the rear calipers were threaded because of the e-brake so I had to screw them in to get more clearance.

Last edited by SCBluePT; 06 Jan 2011 at 07:44 pm.
Old 06 Jan 2011, 09:02 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBluePT View Post
Is this on the front or rear?I had the same problem with the rear pads on my 2000 Mustang GT.It turned out the pistons on the rear calipers were threaded because of the e-brake so I had to screw them in to get more clearance.
This would be the front pads on my 01 PT cruiser. The caliper is FULLY compressed and the pads rest snugly against the metal frame that holds them. Im just dumbfounded at this point. Ill take a pic and post it in 15 minutes.
Old 06 Jan 2011, 09:10 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by invidious View Post
This would be the front pads on my 01 PT cruiser. The caliper is FULLY compressed and the pads rest snugly against the metal frame that holds them. Im just dumbfounded at this point. Ill take a pic and post it in 15 minutes.
I guess my info didnt help then.I just thought if it were the rear pads it might be a similar problem.
Old 06 Jan 2011, 09:34 pm
Young Cruiser

As you can see the orange razor knife is where the rotor fits. It's just not wide enough though. Any thoughts or questions about what im asking?

Last edited by invidious; 06 Jan 2011 at 09:40 pm.
Old 06 Jan 2011, 10:51 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

It looks like the pad on the right in the picture is not seated all the way in your caliper.The metal plate that the pad is attatched to should be seated against the caliper.

Last edited by SCBluePT; 06 Jan 2011 at 10:56 pm.
Old 06 Jan 2011, 11:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

for sure the inside pad is NOT seated it will fit exactally into that opening then it will fit

you are sure they are the correct pad's??? im not being smart but some times the parts store will not get it right
Old 07 Jan 2011, 12:29 am
Veteran Cruiser

Looks to me as though the calper is not sliding on the caliper guide pins. Remove the Guide pin bolts from inner side of calipers and pull the piston assembly off. Clean up and lubricate the pins and reinstall.

Quote:

As you can see the orange razor knife is where the rotor fits. It's just not wide enough though. Any thoughts or questions about what im asking?

Old 07 Jan 2011, 09:08 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanatanadharma View Post
Looks to me as though the calper is not sliding on the caliper guide pins. Remove the Guide pin bolts from inner side of calipers and pull the piston assembly off. Clean up and lubricate the pins and reinstall.

You sir were 100% right! TY TY AND TY! One of the pins was stuck so i thought that was the correct height. But as soon as i put some elbow grease on it it moved TY once again you sir saved the day! The crusier is back on the road!!!!
Old 07 Jan 2011, 02:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
You sir were 100% right! TY TY AND TY! One of the pins was stuck so i thought that was the correct height. But as soon as i put some elbow grease on it it moved TY once again you sir saved the day! The crusier is back on the road!!!!
Yeah glad you figured it out! From the pictures it looked like the pad was in cockeyed or misaligned on guide rails.