Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
My emerging PT Nightmare..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Jan 2011, 09:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default My emerging PT Nightmare..

Just getting started on what I think is going to be a nightmare.

We have a 2004 PT Turbo with 145k miles. Got this from my parents and it's been running like a top since we got it.

Recently got a check engine light and a slight hesitation at idle after the car had been running for a while. I checked the codes to get a misfire on cylinder 4.

I checked over the forums to see possible causes and ran some WD40 near the lower intake with no noticable change in the idle.

Finally decided to take the car into the dealer this wednesday to have it looked at.

They came back with the PT needing a new valve cover and spark plug well gasket.

Of course things got really interesting when I called to see when I could pick it up. At that point they informed me that my PCM was totally fired and needed to be replaced.

Their service notes indicate that they "tested" the PCM Supply Ground and the ground for the injector was "very low". They then "continued laod testing circuit and driver completely shut down".

We're totally confused about this and I'm reading it as though they intentionally failed the PCM.

The car is now completely undrivable thanks to only working on 3 cylinders.

What are my options here regarding the PCM? Is there a way to test and see if it's truly dead. If it is dead, can I easily swap and program it?

Any help here would be appreciated. I'm already planning to have a nice chat with the GM of this dealership tomorrow.

-Gary
Old 07 Jan 2011, 10:34 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: My emerging PT Nightmare..

The PCM may still be under a Federal or State emissions warranty. check it out. some emmissions items are good for 8 years.

Tim
Old 08 Jan 2011, 07:34 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Your going to have a hard time proving it, but sounds like they produced the problem while testing it. You'd have to have the right equipment to do any testing yourself and I'm pretty sure you'd have to have it programmed when you replaced it.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 31 Jan 2011, 08:03 am
Fresh Cruiser

Just to give a small followup on my original post.

We negotiated a settlement with the Dealership (Norman Chrysler Jeep and Dodge). They would replace the destroyed PCM for an additional $300 from us and gurantee it would drive.

They replaced the PCM and still couldn't get the car to behave, so they looked things over again and sure enough found that the intake manifold gaskets were leaking. They fixed those and the car drove like a top until this past saturday.

My wife was coming back from the hardware store and the car inexplicably died followed shortly by the strong smell of fuel. I go over to get here and the car to see what the problem was and ends up the flexible fuel line between the rail and firewall had come off at the firewall end. The clip was infact broken in half. I managed to plug the hose back on and limp it home. Yesterday the hose had come off again when I went to check it out some more.

Today I get to call the dealership and ask for a clip since I know good and well they had to take it off when working on the engine this past month.

-Gary
Old 31 Jan 2011, 09:05 am
Veteran Cruiser

YIKES!!

That's alot of fuel spraying all over everything!!!!!

Good to hear it running well again!!! Good she shut it down ASAP
Old 31 Jan 2011, 09:35 am
Obsessed Cruiser

The Dealership you mention, is that Lake Norman CJD in North Carolina?
Old 31 Jan 2011, 04:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by gw2tulsa View Post
Just to give a small followup on my original post.

We negotiated a settlement with the Dealership (Norman Chrysler Jeep and Dodge). They would replace the destroyed PCM for an additional $300 from us and gurantee it would drive.

They replaced the PCM and still couldn't get the car to behave, so they looked things over again and sure enough found that the intake manifold gaskets were leaking. They fixed those and the car drove like a top until this past saturday.

My wife was coming back from the hardware store and the car inexplicably died followed shortly by the strong smell of fuel. I go over to get here and the car to see what the problem was and ends up the flexible fuel line between the rail and firewall had come off at the firewall end. The clip was infact broken in half. I managed to plug the hose back on and limp it home. Yesterday the hose had come off again when I went to check it out some more.

Today I get to call the dealership and ask for a clip since I know good and well they had to take it off when working on the engine this past month.

-Gary
You can pick up assortments of stainless wormclamps cheaply - I wouldn;t get a dealer clip - the wormclamps hold better and last forever.
I would avoid that dealership - they may have given you a price break for something you shouldn;t have needed, but competency seems lacking.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 31 Jan 2011, 06:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Well... it gets better.

I spent all day trying to find this clamp to no avail. Finally got home and decided to remove the clip. For some reason it was catching. I finally got it out and realized why.

The Clamp had been SUPER GLUED into place. Absolutely insane.

Sure enough, the clamp was broken into two parts and after the fuel line had been put back on they slathered the parts in superglue.

Wanting to waste more of my time I called the dealership and was of course given the run around by their service manager. They would need to talk to the tech to see just what he did. As if that jackwagon would ever say "yeah, I shortcutted the job with some superglue".

This is Norman Chrylser Jeep Dodge in Norman, OK.

-Gary
Old 31 Jan 2011, 08:49 pm
Young Cruiser

For once I am not going to weigh in on this one, but I would strongly recommend you seek a second opinion and stop using your current dealership. Also consider lodging a complaint with the better business bureau these guys sound like a stealership of note. I am not advocating all dealerships are the same but this reads like a horror story of note.
Old 01 Feb 2011, 03:34 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Do you just need a fuel line clip?

I'd call Chrysler, take good pics of the part, and show them.
You could also park the PT out front with a sign that says
"Norman Chrysler Super Glued My Fuel Line ON"

Don't take any C**p from them. Tell them this is what they did, and
they aren't going to ask anyone anything, they're going to fix it while you watch. Period.