Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
No Bus

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Jan 2011, 07:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default No Bus Message on Dashboard

Anyone ever come across a message that says "no bus" flashing on the digital odometer? I have no idea what this is though I have seen it once before probably a year ago but it went away after a day. I'm hoping it goes away again. Interestingly I also have all of my warning lights on along with this message and my door lock buttons refuse to work inside the car. Very strange! Any help?

Last edited by ilrglen; 10 Jan 2011 at 12:10 am. Reason: renaming thread title
Old 09 Jan 2011, 11:29 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: No Bus message on dash

Just an update...
Dash instruments and warning lights now completely nonfunctioning. Plus, automatic door locks uncooperative. They lock as soon as you start the car but when you turn off the car and try to lock them using the remote with the doors closed they lock and then unlock immediately and then do nothing. Door lock switches from inside the car still not working.
Old 09 Jan 2011, 12:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: No Bus

There's two different versions of the PT as far as electronics go. If yours is 01-05, check all the fuses in the PDC (fuse box) in the engine compartment especially the #17 fuse which is the IOD (Ignition Off Draw) fuse.

Personally it sounds like a major electrical problem and it could mean a whole new PDO.

Sorry, make that PDC (Power Distribution Center).

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 05 Feb 2015 at 09:45 am.
Old 10 Jan 2011, 12:19 am
Fresh Cruiser

First of all, what's a PDO? I will check those fuses.

Could this be something as simple as something under the dashboard getting unplugged? Just a few days ago my wife had to have the car towed to a garage and she told me afterward that the driver was first trying to open to hood to see if he could boost the car. But the hood release was broken, the handle was also broken and my wife said the tow driver was really digging around under the dash trying to release the hood. Perhaps he grabbed the wrong thing or knocked something lose which eventually completely disconnected?
Old 10 Jan 2011, 12:23 am
Dedicated Cruiser

All we can do is guess without seeing the car.I would say get down there and check it out.If something were unhooked it should be pretty easy to find.
Old 10 Jan 2011, 10:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: No Bus Message on Dashboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilrglen View Post
Anyone ever come across a message that says "no bus" flashing on the digital odometer? I have no idea what this is though I have seen it once before probably a year ago but it went away after a day. I'm hoping it goes away again. Interestingly I also have all of my warning lights on along with this message and my door lock buttons refuse to work inside the car. Very strange! Any help?
My car did this this morning!!!!!!!!!! It didnt want to tstart right away, then i noticed that too! i ended up turning the car off and then back on and it was gone... but im sure it'll come back....
Old 10 Jan 2011, 11:10 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

I did a search and was able to come up with this on another site.It seems to be pretty common with Chrysler products.

"no buS means that your insturment cluster is not communicating with the onboard computer. Your cars have a "data bus" the same as a personal computer. It is basically just part of the computers wiring system. Try checking plug in connectors in your wiring system. This could possibly be somewhere besides behind the instrument cluster, such as at the computer. Another thing to check is the ground system. I don't know about your particular vehicle, but I have found a few vehicles with a loose ground wire, which was driving the instruments crazy. In those cases, there was a ground wire with a metal grommet attached to the metal body or dash structure somewhere under the dash. I have found on some vehicles it is attached on the left side under the edge of the dash right above the emergency brake pedal."

As I said,this was quoted from another site.Hope this helps.
Old 10 Jan 2011, 11:14 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Here is a link to the site that the info above came from.
Does anyone know what "no bus" means, my car won't start... - Q&A

Tags
error message