Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Instrument Cluster Replacement

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Jan 2011, 10:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Instrument Cluster Replacement

After having the battery replaced on my 2001 PT Cruiser, the dash lights and gauges no longer work. Everything else is fine (horn, power locks, radio, sunroof, headlights, wipers, etc.) but the dash lights are out, the speedo, odo, tach, gas, temp guages are dead. No door chimes, no dome light, but the map lights works. The shop that replaced the battery checked all the fuses and claims it is nothing they did and that I should have the cluster replaced.
I have found multiple instrument clusters on ebay that I could get, but I have also read that you cannot simply swap out the old cluster for a new one. You have to have the new one re-programmed with the info from the old one (how you get the info from the dead cluster is a mystery). Has anyone ever swapped out their cluster? Any truth to the have to have the dealer re-program? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 10 Jan 2011, 07:54 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Instrument Cluster Replacement

I have never done it in a PT but I have other Chrysler vehicles (Sebring Convertible). I did not need to have mine reprogrammed as the mileage for the odometer is stored in the computer of the car, not in the gauge cluster itself. I am pretty sure the PT works the same way but I am not totally sure.

As far as the actual replacement goes, I have removed the PT gauges before and it is a pretty simple job.
Old 10 Jan 2011, 09:40 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to WolfmanG

i would actually suggest taking off the neg terminal on the battery for about 10min's to see if it resets the comp. if so maybe everything'll start working again if not then maybe it's something else.
Old 10 Jan 2011, 09:41 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to WolfmanG

Oh, welcome to the forum. Greetings from San Antonio from Eve(07 Touring ed) and i.
Old 16 Feb 2011, 08:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBrehm View Post
After having the battery replaced on my 2001 PT Cruiser, the dash lights and gauges no longer work. Everything else is fine (horn, power locks, radio, sunroof, headlights, wipers, etc.) but the dash lights are out, the speedo, odo, tach, gas, temp guages are dead. No door chimes, no dome light, but the map lights works. The shop that replaced the battery checked all the fuses and claims it is nothing they did and that I should have the cluster replaced.
I have found multiple instrument clusters on ebay that I could get, but I have also read that you cannot simply swap out the old cluster for a new one. You have to have the new one re-programmed with the info from the old one (how you get the info from the dead cluster is a mystery). Has anyone ever swapped out their cluster? Any truth to the have to have the dealer re-program? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Did you ever get this resolved? I bought a 2001 PT Ltd in Canada and to title it here in the US, have to get the odometer to display in miles instead of kilometers. I would think it would be something the dealer could convert electronically. Local dealer said no and tells me I have to replace the cluster - parts are $750. I found some on eBay for $50 or less but don't know what is involved in swapping them out. I think I'll discuss with a different dealer tomorrow and see if it's possible to change it electronically. Had a 99 VW beetle and VW dealer did it in mins once it was hooked to their meter.

1. Can the odometer be changed from km to miles electronically?

2. If no, where do I find instructions for changing the cluster?

Thanks from a newbie here!
Old 16 Feb 2011, 08:48 pm
Cool Cruiser

I'm not sure about the electronics..or reprogramming; I have had my cluster out a few times. One thing that is critical..well two things; 1) Don't lay the cluster face down any longer that a few minuets..(not at all is better), the meters are oil dampened & the oil can leak onto the face of the instruments.
2) When you remove the cluster, the first inch or so..you need to pull STRAIGHT out. And when installing it, the last inch or so must be put back in straight!
The cluster is "self docking". That means by the shape of the dash where the cluster mounts..sort of guides the cluster into place. You might want to check if some of the pins got bent/damaged while trying to reinstall it.
It could be that simple, lets us know how it works out..
Old 16 Feb 2011, 09:30 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBrehm View Post

Thanks
I did change the cluster on mine! I have a PT limited that the color of the cluster was tan! I found a GT cluster silver! My cluster had around 60,000 miles and the GT had 10,000 more! I put the GT on and still has the miles that it came with! I dont mind because all I wanted was the look! But I did not had any problems with that swap!
Old 16 Feb 2011, 09:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You should be able to change from Kilometers to Miles by pushing the button that is between the speedometer & Fuel gages. On my 2008 there is a "Personal Settings" that you can change (I think) I do know the earlier models have or have not some of the things later models either have or have not.
Good luck!!

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 16 Feb 2011, 10:20 pm
Cool Cruiser

I'm sure my '01 doesn't have that button. I do know that all newer Honda Civics..and probably the rest of their vehicles have a button you can toggle to change between miles & kilometers whenever you want..a handy feature when you cross borders!
Old 17 Feb 2011, 10:34 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKETMAN8060 View Post
I did change the cluster on mine! I have a PT limited that the color of the cluster was tan! I found a GT cluster silver! My cluster had around 60,000 miles and the GT had 10,000 more! I put the GT on and still has the miles that it came with! I dont mind because all I wanted was the look! But I did not had any problems with that swap!
Thanks for the all the responses! There are no knobs or buttons on mine other than 1 that swaps between trip and odometer. Are there any detailed instructions for the the cluster removal? Mine only has 50,000km which is a bit over 30,000 miles. I doubt I can find any with that minimal mileage. Can the dealer match them up after the swap? Guess I'll ask whether the dealer would be willing to put in my part instead of their $750 one. County tells me that a dealer has to perform the swap but I can grill them a bit more on that topic.

Tags
dash lights, gauges, speedometer