PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

2001 PT has P1391 code

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Jan 2011, 08:32 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2001 PT has P1391 code

I was driving last night and all of a sudden my check engine light and engine oil light came on and the car just died. It sucked because it was snowing and in the 20's. Anyway I checked the error codes, and the only one that I have is the P1391. I have read about several people having this error code as well as the P0340 code, however I don't have this code just the 1391 code. Seeing as how I can't use a tow rope to tow it home for fear of screwing up the transmission, we pushed it several feet into a walmart parking lot until the snow melts here in a day or so. I guess the question is what does it mean when I only have the one error code instead of both? Is this one error code enough to cause the car to die and not restart? I read that either sensor could be bad as well as the wiring for the sensors. Is there a way of checking the sensors somehow with a tool such as an ohmmeter? Also where is a good place to buy another set of wires should that be the problem?

Thank you for any advice I receive.

Last edited by sportsguy585; 11 Jan 2011 at 08:37 am.
Old 11 Jan 2011, 09:50 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2001 PT has P1391 code

Welcome Sportsguy to the Forum.

I can't help on the sensors except to say: Get MOPAR sensors not aftermarket as our PT's do not like the aftermarket ones.

To your 2nd question: use anything other than stock wires, they are crap!! I have used MOPAR Performance wires but now have Cranes.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 11 Jan 2011, 10:19 am
Obsessed Cruiser

The P1391 fault code you are getting indicates a "bad" or "no signal recognized" from EITHER the Camshaft or Crankshaft sensor and the only way to tell is with an OBDII scanner. The wires your talking about are the wiring harness from the Camshaft sensor to the computer. They run around back of the engine and there's more than one of us that have had problems because the harness rubbed against something and burnt out the wires. That harness can only be bought from the dealer or maybe taken from a PT in a salvage yard. But that only happens in 1 out a 100 cases so it's more than likely one of the sensors.

As Hooligan already said, only buy the sensors at the dealer. A little bit more expensive but we have had lots of owners come back to us with the same problems after buying an auto store sensor and when they switched to a MOPAR part, all was well.

The first thing you have to do, as I said, is find out which sensor it is. That's why you only received the one code, the computer is not sure which sensor is bad. Most times you only get the one code (P0340) which points directly to the Camshaft sensor.

Now, if you want to just change both sensors without going to the dealer for a diagnostic fee, they are both pretty easy to change. Problem is your buying one of those sensors for nothing as it's probably only one sensor that's bad. You can try one at a time, the Camshaft sensor is the easiest to get to and change.

Can you tell I've got nothing to do today except play with the computer.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 11 Jan 2011, 10:52 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Crewzin, I've put together a simple list of the error codes, is there some place I can post them so that members can download them when needed? I have both US and European, as the OBD codes from Europe are different. I can put them in PDF form if that works for you.

I would need my own forum just to list my mods!!!
Remember, a PT Cruiser is not just a car, it's a way of life!
LAUS DEO SEMPER

Please visit the Tech Docs Library and you'll find many of your answers!
Old 11 Jan 2011, 11:06 am
Fresh Cruiser

Does anyone have any recommendations on where to buy some Mopar parts online, there aren't many Chrysler dealerships in the area without having to drive a decent distance.
Old 11 Jan 2011, 11:06 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Chrmenut,

We have 2 lists of error codes on the forum. One on the top of the Tech & Performance section and one on the to of the General Turbo Discussions. Are yours different than those lists except for the European codes, they are bound to be different.

P.S. Glad to see you haven't gone away for good.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 11 Jan 2011 at 11:14 am.
Old 11 Jan 2011, 11:13 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsguy585 View Post
Does anyone have any recommendations on where to buy some Mopar parts online, there aren't many Chrysler dealerships in the area without having to drive a decent distance.
Your question doesn't make sense unless you want to buy on-line but then drive to the pace to buy them. Why not just look up some places in your local phone book and call them for a price?

Plus you didn't fill out your profile so we have no idea where you live.
Old 11 Jan 2011, 11:22 am
Fresh Cruiser

I just want a website to buy oem parts since I keep reading that aftermarket parts don't seem to work very well. I don't have any dealerships nearby to order parts from and drive to pick them up. They are all a decent distance away. I would much rather have parts delivered to my house.
Old 11 Jan 2011, 11:28 am
Obsessed Cruiser

That makes more sense.

A few of us have bought things from this Chrysler dealer. https://www.wyckoffchryslerparts.com...ts/default.asp

But most of us have found the cheapest parts, and they have ads in our Vendor section on this forum, at RockAuto Auto Parts

What ever part you need, they give you a couple different brands to choose from and have good prices and fast delivery.