Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
gas mileage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Jan 2011, 09:18 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default gas mileage

hello everybody ,well i'am new to the culb ,i just purchesed a 2006 pt touring in dec ,ilove my new cruiser but i'am haveing some problems with it .the first one is the gas mileage man that thing is drinking some gas ,hope some one can help me with that ,like i said i'am new to pt cruiser and know i should be getting better mileage than what i'am getting,i'am getting about 16 miles to the gallon in the city highway about 20 to the gallon .the other problem is my remote it was working fine when i first got it 3 day later it stop all together change the battery still a no go any help would be great
Old 12 Jan 2011, 09:22 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Re: gas mileage

Welcome to the forum.These cars are known for having subpar gas mileage.You could change the plugs and wires and that would probably help a little because the stock wires are crap.You could also put a K&N replacement air filter in it but you will never get real good mileage out of it.I have a 2010 with 5200 miles and I average 22.5 mpg.My wife's 2005 has 40,000 miles and it gets the same.
Old 12 Jan 2011, 10:15 am
Fresh Cruiser

what brand of spark plug would be best,and wires witch would be the best to use
Old 12 Jan 2011, 10:45 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Champion or Autolite Platinum plugs and any plug wires other than OEM. I used MOPAR performance wires and had good luck with them, I now have Cranes which unfortunately are OOB.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 12 Jan 2011, 11:47 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Okay, not meaning to insult you but that first post hurt my eyes to try and read. Now that I've said that, have you looked at the Granatelli wires? They might be more expensive but about the best plug wires out there. Also, you're driving a normally aspirated engine and getting the same mileage I'm getting on my turbo and I drive like a maniac. Meaning I have to replace my tires every year from being an insanely fast driver.

You really should be getting better mileage than that. When I drive economically (yes, have done that once or twice) I get almost 28mpg on the highway and 20 in the city. Right now I'm getting 17.5mpg average, 90% city driving. But then I try to spin my tires at almost every stop! lol...

Definitely change your oil, get a good air filter (I also suggest K&N), replace plugs and wires may not fix your mileage problem but they sure will wake up your engine.
Old 12 Jan 2011, 01:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

hey chromenut sorry but its not going to happen i have a na 06 and i probaly drive a lot like you well i run it in the 80's a lot but when i drive it between 65-70 on the interstate 80 miles one way it will do 20mpg and IF i have to drive in a lot of stop and go crap it will go to a 16 i have changed wires plugs changed the oil and over inflated the tires if i get it to a 22 I usally just wet my pants im so excited so to be honest a good average for me is 19-20mph on a highway driven car --oh and if i an heading into a stiff wind it will go way down its just liike pushing a brick---and I still think your turbo should do better since it has more power and is way more responsive
Old 12 Jan 2011, 02:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I am averaging 23 mpg, that includes both city and highway, of course 2 trips to OK increased my mileage. This is based on 165 fill ups using fuelly.com.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 12 Jan 2011, 02:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruserdad1976 View Post
hey chromenut sorry but its not going to happen i have a na 06 and i probaly drive a lot like you well i run it in the 80's a lot but when i drive it between 65-70 on the interstate 80 miles one way it will do 20mpg and IF i have to drive in a lot of stop and go crap it will go to a 16 i have changed wires plugs changed the oil and over inflated the tires if i get it to a 22 I usally just wet my pants im so excited so to be honest a good average for me is 19-20mph on a highway driven car --oh and if i an heading into a stiff wind it will go way down its just liike pushing a brick---and I still think your turbo should do better since it has more power and is way more responsive
Really, I did not know that. Learn something every day! lol.. guess I'm not doing so bad then, when I drive like a real human being I get great mileage, can hold around 20 to 23 in town. Guess I'll just shut up...hahahaha
Old 12 Jan 2011, 02:40 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I guess you missed the memo that Granatelli wires are overpriced and not all that great. Some PT vendors even pulled them. MSD wires are good.
Old 12 Jan 2011, 02:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004GTMAN View Post
I guess you missed the memo that Granatelli wires are overpriced and not all that great. Some PT vendors even pulled them. MSD wires are good.
Must have, will have to look into that. I have MSD's on mine now and they are rapidly aging, over at PTCrew I posted a thread where I've measured the inpedance on them new, and after a year old. They really changed in a year.