Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
PT Cruiser Vibrations

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Jan 2011, 10:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default PT Cruiser Vibrations

I have a 2006 Cabrio touring automatic. Bought 2nd hand with 13,000 km on clock, now done 40,000 km. Originally had 18 inch wheels with 40 profile tyres, felt every bump. Now with 15 inch rims and 60 profile tyres. All new and balanced.
Under engine load conditions, i.e. accelerating up a hill, or overtaking, starting about 100 kmh (60 mph) up to 120 kmh (73 mph) the car starts to vibrate, getting worse as the speed increases. This can be felt thru steering wheel and floor.
Lifting the foot off the accelerator the vibration stops immediately, put foot back down and it starts again. There is slight vibration at lower speeds 60kmh (30 mph) when accelerating very hard.
Car was still under warranty when this was happening. Took back to local dealer and was told " they all do it"
Anyone had experience with this problem.
Kenmac.
Old 15 Jan 2011, 10:26 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to WolfmanG
Default Re: PT Cruiser Vibrations

when was the last time the oil was changed?
Old 15 Jan 2011, 11:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I've got the '06 cabrio GT, but in LHD version...lol... I had a very similar shake that was really getting bad. Mine started at 125kph and around 145kph it is almost uncontrollable. I say "is" because I have the issue right now.

However, the fix was so friggin easy. Well, for the guys that sold me the wheels! I had my tires rotated about two weeks before I noticed the problem. Took it in and asked them to check the balance, they did and the problem was a tiny bit better. Took it back to them again, told them take all the weights off the wheels and start over.

There are two basic types of wheel balancers being used at most shops across America. The first is a static balancing system that is the most prevalent, it spins the tire/wheel and slows to identify where a wheel is light to offset where the wheel is heaviest, allowing the tech to install the balance weights at the proper spot.

The other, more precise method, is when using what's called the "Road Force" balancer. This is the same as the static balancer but applies pressure to the tire to simulate the tire being mounted on the car. Since I do race and want my tires/wheels as well balanced as possible, I demand they use the road force balancer, and found out they hadn't been. So, balance again, run a lap out three miles and back at around 105mph. Shoot, the shake was so bad I thought I was going to lose it.

So, asked the shop manager to come speak to me. He put the car up on the rack, pulled the wheel off, and then pulled the centering ring off, and found it was slightly warped, there was the problem! So they have those on order for me!!!

Last edited by Chromenut; 15 Jan 2011 at 11:07 pm.
Old 15 Jan 2011, 11:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

And here is a reply from a good friend of mine who owns a shop here in Mooresville, he's a Master Mechanic:
Quote:
Wheel Balance: Out-of-balance tires will cause a car to vibrate at certain speeds, usually between 50 and 70 mph. A tire is out of balance when one section of the tire is heavier than the others. One ounce of imbalance on a front tire is enough to cause a noticeable vibration in the steering wheel at about 60 mph. To balance a wheel, the technician will mount it on a balancing machine which spins the wheel to locate the heavier part. He will then compensate for the heavy part by attaching a lead weight on the opposite side. Many people are pleasantly surprised at how smooth their car drives after balancing all four wheels.

Most high quality tires will hold their balance fairly well and go out of balance very gradually. If you notice a vibration that wasn't there the day before, it is possible that one of the lead balancing weights fell off. If you feel the vibration mostly in the steering wheel, the problem is most likely in a front wheel. If the vibration is mostly in the seat, the problem is probably in the rear.

For those of you who are very sensitive about vibrations and your shop can't seem to get that last bit of vibration out, check to see if you have locking wheel lugs. Some locking lugs are as much as 1.5 ounces heavier than the other lug nuts which translates to about 1/2 ounce at the wheel rim. Try putting a 1/2 ounce weight opposite the locking lug and see if it helps.
Old 16 Jan 2011, 12:20 am
Veteran Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to WolfmanG

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkid1983 View Post
when was the last time the oil was changed?
okay, nevermind.
Old 16 Jan 2011, 01:20 am
Veteran Cruiser

I never balance my wheels-

There no reason to do any obscure type of balancing, before balancer
company's started sponsoring NASCAR, they used bubble balancers.

After the tech balances your tire, tell him to put it back on the machine for fun.
It will be off- almost always.

True, quality rims and high quality tires are nearly perfect- In general. OEM's can't mess around with NVH complaints, items are made to be concentric.

You might also check the control arm bushings, they were far too compliant on
Neons, dunno on the PT.
Old 16 Jan 2011, 06:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I thought the tyres wouldn't be the problem because maintaining same speed and conditions, lift the accelerator vibration stops, accelerator back down and vibration resumes, road speed and wheel speed remaining same.
Kenmac

Last edited by kenmac; 16 Jan 2011 at 07:02 pm.
Old 16 Jan 2011, 07:53 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Did you have the vibration before putting the new tires on?
Old 16 Jan 2011, 08:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I personally like the vibrations, but then, I am a perv.....

gee, I just noticed, after years of using this stupid animation above that I've spelled Trapped wrong! hahahahaha

Last edited by Chromenut; 16 Jan 2011 at 08:08 pm.
Old 18 Jan 2011, 07:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

For SCBluePT, Re new tyres, I don't remember, too long ago.
However will get wheels rebalanced as a check soon. Will let you know.
Thanks for the tips.
Kenmac.