PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Transmission Solenoid replacement torque?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Jan 2011, 12:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Transmission Solenoid replacement torque?

Does anyone know the correct torque for a 2002 A604 Automatic transmission solenoid replacement for the three long 10mm bolts? I hate to do a "tight" on aluminum but would rather be exact as it is the Mother-in-laws car. Also has anyone skipped the Quick-learn at the dealer and let the smart trans sort out the shifting over time with luck?

Thank You,

Mrfixit503@aol.com
Old 17 Jan 2011, 04:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Transmission Solenoid replacement torque?

IF we are both talking about the same bolts:

According to my 01-04 the 3 long bolts on the Solenoid Pressure Switch Assembly has a torque spec of 13 Nm or 110 in lbs.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 18 Jan 2011, 08:24 am
Young Cruiser

correct or 9.1 ft/lbs if you dont have an in/lbs torque wrench.
Old 18 Jan 2011, 08:40 am
Fresh Cruiser

Awesome guys...I have been looking everywhere for this info. I tried replacing the gasket first as it was only $3.00 at the stealer but of course it turns out to be leaking from the plastic block which is held on by torx screws. I wiped edges of plastic block with rtv the first time just to try and cover my bases while part was out and it did not work. Solenoid on order from Advanced Auto with free shipping and $40.00 off with "BIG40" discount code. Mother-in-Law will be pleased car is fixed which means I will be pleased she is out of my hair!............THANK YOU!
Old 20 Jan 2011, 12:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

To follow up: Job was 1.5 hours from in the garage to outside and includes putting stuff away. The Borg Warner from Advance Auto came with gasket and dropped right in. A difference I did find was the BW had three locator pins as to only two in the stock module. This is no problem as they slide into module when tightened but do a great job of holding gasket on. After install and topping off about .5 of a quart of lost ATF+4 the road test was normal so no "quick-learn" at the dealer is needed and save another $100.00! 30,000 miles on a 2002 and a long way to go for the mother-in-Law. (torqued 3 10mm bolts to the required 9.1 ft lbs. +/-

Thanks again for the help.

PS Advance Auto was free shipping and $40 off with code "big40" no core.
Old 20 Jan 2011, 02:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Thanks for the update.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 20 Jan 2011, 03:18 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Glad it all worked out for you.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 20 Jan 2011, 09:26 pm
Young Cruiser

Good job, glad to help. I did mine on Saturday same result and same part.

Now just have to seal up the tranny pan, but that's a whole other thread topic, already under way here on the forum.
Old 26 Mar 2011, 05:06 pm
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to JaviPTGT

is this what i need my car wont go pass 40 and i only have 1 and 2 gear i got code 0734 and 0733 wicth is bad gear ratio or something and to change this i have to take off the tranny pan and filter right need some help asap 5743002132 thanks
Old 26 Mar 2011, 09:10 pm
Senior Cruiser

Mrfixit, let us know how the Borg Warner solenoid works out for you. My OEM solenoid leaks a bit, so I have to eventually replace the unit. Ordinarily, I use OEM parts (especially electrical), but Borg Warner seems to have a good name in the industry, and the dealer cost is a lot higher. Besides, I am a little reluctant to replace a part with a part that was obviously inferior to begin with.

And you are another who has not had to take the car to the dealer for a relearn--so I'll give it a try. The relearn thing was really putting me off.

Tim