PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Transmission Pan Sealer That Actually Works?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Jan 2011, 08:06 pm
Cool Cruiser

Unhappy Transmission Pan Sealer That Actually Works?

I'm looking for suggestions for a transmission pan gasket sealer that actually works. I've tried the Permatex gray RTV with no gasket, per the TSM. It oozes ATF+4 out the lower rear edge. I've tried the Asian Auto standard gray RTV applied to a synthetic neoprene-like gasket. It oozes ATF+4 out the lower rear edge.

In both cases, I've carefully and religiously cleaned and lightly scraped the pan surface and the transmission surface with solvent, then alcohol (for the RTV). The scraping was light, just to scratch off the remaining RTV that wasn't vulcanized on and in the machining pattern.

The leak occurs where ATF dribbles down from the inner workings of the transmission, even after I've left the pan off overnight to drain. In the mere seconds between wiping the ATF off with a cloth wet with alcohol and slapping the pan into place, enough ATF gets onto the transmission mating surface to oil-up the surface, which then keeps the RTV from sticking. (RTV won't stick to even a thin coat of oil.)

This is really frustrating.

I'm old enough to remember using Permatex Number 2, which smells sort of like pine pitch. Will it work? How about spray-on copper coat, which has done marvelous stuff for me. Another last-ditch sealer has been Gasgacinch. Any thoughts on that?

Or is there some trick to getting that annoying ATF dribble to stop just long enough to slap the pan into place?

Thanks.

Last edited by Matt42; 17 Jan 2011 at 08:08 pm. Reason: Oil!
Old 18 Jan 2011, 08:21 am
Young Cruiser

Default Re: Transmission Pan Sealer That Actually Works?

Not sure but I intend to use High temp Permatex on the weekend, I will let you know. I dont know if it has anything to do with the residual run of ATF or the actualy surface and sealant. When rebuilt my motor over a few weeks I drained the transmission completely got ever last drop out. There was no ATF running down anywhere when I put the pan back on with Permatex grey. A week later the rear bolts and some on the side had drops of oil hanging on them.

Past experience with Neon transmission pans, being they are similar, some of the pan bolts were actually drilled up into the transimission and were not blind holes. Which meant that even if I put RTV around the hole the ATF would leak in from the threads and then out around the head of the bolts. The only way i got them sealed up was to use RTV high temp on the pan with the usual pattern around the bolts. Then apply RTV high temp to the threads of each bolts and torque down. I will check once my pan is off again if any of the pan bolt holes are not blind holes, if so I bet thats where it is leaking from.
Old 18 Jan 2011, 10:53 am
Obsessed Cruiser

i left my pan off for almo0st 2 weeks it dripped all over my shop floor and evn then wheni raised it back up it still had some small dribble and i am pretty sure the screw holes go all the way through mine seep but really does not drip
Old 18 Jan 2011, 07:59 pm
Senior Cruiser

Look for an anaerobic sealant. These seal when there is not a presence of air. Most newer cars use this stuff only instead of gaskets. I think toyota was the first to use this but not sure. I had an issue with a leak on my truck and the toyota dealership sold me a tube of it (after paying way to much for it there i found out permatex makes it too, but for 1/5th of the price )

It worked very well and no leaks years later.
Old 18 Jan 2011, 09:00 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4safari View Post
Not sure but I intend to use High temp Permatex on the weekend, I will let you know. I dont know if it has anything to do with the residual run of ATF or the actualy surface and sealant. When rebuilt my motor over a few weeks I drained the transmission completely got ever last drop out. There was no ATF running down anywhere when I put the pan back on with Permatex grey. A week later the rear bolts and some on the side had drops of oil hanging on them.

Past experience with Neon transmission pans, being they are similar, some of the pan bolts were actually drilled up into the transimission and were not blind holes. Which meant that even if I put RTV around the hole the ATF would leak in from the threads and then out around the head of the bolts. The only way i got them sealed up was to use RTV high temp on the pan with the usual pattern around the bolts. Then apply RTV high temp to the threads of each bolts and torque down. I will check once my pan is off again if any of the pan bolt holes are not blind holes, if so I bet thats where it is leaking from.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xwing777 View Post
Look for an anaerobic sealant. These seal when there is not a presence of air. Most newer cars use this stuff only instead of gaskets. I think toyota was the first to use this but not sure. I had an issue with a leak on my truck and the toyota dealership sold me a tube of it (after paying way to much for it there i found out permatex makes it too, but for 1/5th of the price )

It worked very well and no leaks years later.
Aha! Leaky bolt holes and anaerobic sealants. Both make a lot of sense. Something to try if this last attempt didn't work out. Trying to recall, in my memory view, those rear bolt holes seem to go into the inner bowels of the transmission.

Anybody know what Permatex part number their anaerobic sealer is? SWAMBO is calling me for dinner. Lon day at work today, and I must not keep her a-waitin' a minute longer.

Thanks.
Old 18 Jan 2011, 09:05 pm
Senior Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: Transmission Pan Sealer That Actually Works?

i have had my trans. pan off 3 times because of this drip around the bolts or around the edges, and i have used what crysler said to use even used some high grade aircraft rtv no luck so the 4th and hope finale time 4 months ago i did what the manuel says not to i used a thin rubber gasket from NAPA auto parts and i have no more leaks or drips.so if the trans. starts to act up i know to go back to rtv.and i already know about the trans.pan helping to holding the filter on .so some say it is so some say not
Old 18 Jan 2011, 09:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Just a thought, did you use the recommended bolt tightening procedure and the correct torque for the bolts?

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 18 Jan 2011, 09:15 pm
Senior Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: Transmission Pan Sealer That Actually Works?

yes followed to a t. and the torque wrench was certifide at a calibration center.
Old 18 Jan 2011, 10:35 pm
Senior Cruiser

from permatex's website http://www.permatex.com/products/aut...et_Maker_b.htm
Old 18 Jan 2011, 10:47 pm
Regular Cruiser

Just a thought....

Would this work? 2001-2010 Chrysler PT Cruiser Automatic Transmission Pan Gasket - Transmission - Felpro 01-10 PT Cruiser Automatic Transmission Pan Gasket - 17851-07058344 - PartsGeek

Mine is leaking a little as well, thinking about this a solution.