PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Oil Pressure Switch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Jan 2011, 02:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Oil Pressure Switch

I have a 2007 pt with on oil leak coming from the Oil pressure switch. Dealer says $100 to replace. Autozone has part for $12. The swith screws into the block on the back side of the engine and is a pain to get at (I tried yesterday... and gave up after I could only get my finger tips barely on it). It would be a breeze if the half axle wasn't in the way.
Has anybody replaced this in and if so how did you get the job done?
Old 01 Apr 2012, 02:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Oil Pressure Switch

if you remove the two screws that hold the power steering cooler you can get to it you will need a specil scoket
Old 01 Apr 2012, 02:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I've read where 1 or 2 owners got to it from the top by removing the air filter system. I believe it takes about a 27mm deep well socket (don't quote me on that).

OK, here's the thread where they got to it from the top.

Oil Pressure Sensor ,What tool is needed
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 01 Apr 2012, 08:23 pm
Senior Cruiser

Dad, I paid the dealer to do it. I really like to see what I'm doing when I'm wrenching. The dealer also had a lift and went at the oil-sending unit from below. They charged only $65.00 for part and labor, though.

If you get a new unit and put it in yourself, make sure you get a genuine Mopar oil-sending unit.

Tim
Old 28 Dec 2012, 04:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I recently replaced my 04 PT non turbo oil sensor switch due to it leaking and appreciated the tips left in this forum.

I did not have to take out my battery, but taking out the air filter housing is a must. I was never really able to "see" the entire sensing unit while I was doing the replacement but the hand room is ample once the items are out of the way.

When removing the electrical connection take special care as I broke mine in the removal process and was fortunate to find a used replacement connection at a local junk yard for $10 compared to $53 at the dealer (not a stock item). I cannot tell you positions of the sensor connections because depending on installation it can be positioned at any point of a 360 degree radius due to screw-in sensor. A tip is to try to press (and pull the connector at the same time) the release mechanism near the wire end of the connection regardless of the position of the Red locking mechanism. If it doesn’t' come off then push the Red locking mechanism in the opposite direction and repeat the above instructions.

I was able to fit a 1-1/16" deep socket on my new sensor ($13 from Auto Zone, same price at dealer) and decided to use it to remove the old one since the fit was snug. It worked for me so I didn't purchase the 27 mm deep socket. I also had to use an 3" extension to get the most ratcheting room.