Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
OBDII Error codes (help?)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Jan 2011, 05:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Exclamation OBDII Error codes (help?)

I'm having a problem running any kind of diagnostic test on my 2007 PT Cruiser Limited Edition. Right after starting it up, the check engine light came on, and there is indeed something wrong because the car jerks at random while driving, and also (sometimes) has a tough time turning over when i try to start it.

I read the sticky thread about a self diagnostic test where you turn the key ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON and it displays a code in the odometer. I gave it a try, and accidentally turned the key one to many times back to the OFF position, and the diagnostic code flashed for a split second, then disappeared. I thought, "Great it worked!" ....But now when I do it again there is no code, but the check engine light is still on, and it is still intermittently jerking, and (occasionally) starting rough. I even went to Auto Zone and had them run a diagnostic with the tester, and there are no error codes to be found on it either.

Did I erase/reset the code? Is there a way to get it back? I am positive there was a code there before, and It wasn't the "P1684 reset" code, or the "p0700 TCM code" It had a P and 34 something.

Anyway, can anyone help with this? I desperately need to have this fixed. I don't feel safe letting my wife and 4 week old child drive this car. (also, if possible I'd rather not shell out several hundred dollars on BS taking it to some shady dealer lol, unless I have to)

Any help is greatly appreciated.
(ps sorry for a lengthy first post, i just wanted to be thorough. )
Old 19 Jan 2011, 06:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: OBDII Error codes (help?)

Welcome to the Forum. After doing the "key dance" correctly you should get either a code OR the word DONE. Also, if you have a Action Auto, O'Reilly's near they can read the code for you usually w/o a charge.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 19 Jan 2011, 06:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

As Hooligan said, keep trying with the on-off trick. Nobody ever said anything about being able to erase the stored code with a turn of the key. Only using a scanner or taking the battery cable off for a few minutes will do that.

Now, after saying that, the most common fault codes that we see on the forum are the P0340 and P0344 which fits right into what you think you saw and could give you the problems of what your seeing. Both point to the Camshaft Position Sensor. If nothing else, you could always pick a new sensor up at the dealer (YES the dealer) and throw it on. DO NOT buy any electricl parts from an auto store. Too many of them fail either right away or soon after. The only good electrical parts are Chrysler/MOPAR. Not saying you can't get a bad 1 in 100 but still, you can't go wrong.

Replacing the sensor without further diagnostics can set you back half hour of labor and about $50 give or take.

Here's an idea of how to replace it.

Chrysler PT Cruiser cam sensor replacement: standard and turbo

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 19 Jan 2011, 09:50 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppaGrunt View Post
I'm having a problem running any kind of diagnostic test on my 2007 PT Cruiser Limited Edition. Right after starting it up, the check engine light came on, and there is indeed something wrong because the car jerks at random while driving, and also (sometimes) has a tough time turning over when i try to start it.

I read the sticky thread about a self diagnostic test where you turn the key ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON and it displays a code in the odometer. I gave it a try, and accidentally turned the key one to many times back to the OFF position, and the diagnostic code flashed for a split second, then disappeared. I thought, "Great it worked!" ....But now when I do it again there is no code, but the check engine light is still on, and it is still intermittently jerking, and (occasionally) starting rough. I even went to Auto Zone and had them run a diagnostic with the tester, and there are no error codes to be found on it either.

Did I erase/reset the code? Is there a way to get it back? I am positive there was a code there before, and It wasn't the "P1684 reset" code, or the "p0700 TCM code" It had a P and 34 something.

Anyway, can anyone help with this? I desperately need to have this fixed. I don't feel safe letting my wife and 4 week old child drive this car. (also, if possible I'd rather not shell out several hundred dollars on BS taking it to some shady dealer lol, unless I have to)

Any help is greatly appreciated.
(ps sorry for a lengthy first post, i just wanted to be thorough. )
Don't worry over a long first post. It's thorough, well thought out, logical and readable!

Where are you located? If you are near me (for example) I have, as my wife says, a fancy-dancy code reader that will recognize the car's make, model, year, VIN and then list out the codes with an onscreen list of what they might be caused by. It's kind of fun and takes maybe 45 seconds. (She got it for me at Costco.) Others on the list might have one, also and be willing to help out.

But I can't argue with Crewzin's suggestions.

Old 19 Jan 2011, 10:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
As Hooligan said, keep trying with the on-off trick. Nobody ever said anything about being able to erase the stored code with a turn of the key. Only using a scanner or taking the battery cable off for a few minutes will do that.

Now, after saying that, the most common fault codes that we see on the forum are the P0340 and P0344 which fits right into what you think you saw and could give you the problems of what your seeing. Both point to the Camshaft Position Sensor. If nothing else, you could always pick a new sensor up at the dealer (YES the dealer) and throw it on. DO NOT buy any electricl parts from an auto store. Too many of them fail either right away or soon after. The only good electrical parts are Chrysler/MOPAR. Not saying you can't get a bad 1 in 100 but still, you can't go wrong.

Replacing the sensor without further diagnostics can set you back half hour of labor and about $50 give or take.

Here's an idea of how to replace it.

Chrysler PT Cruiser cam sensor replacement: standard and turbo
Ahh I saw those two codes on the sticky and thought those fit in with my problem. That reassures my gut feeling lol. If it is indeed the sensor, I'll make sure and get it from the dealer. Thanks for the tip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
Welcome to the Forum. After doing the "key dance" correctly you should get either a code OR the word DONE. Also, if you have a Action Auto, O'Reilly's near they can read the code for you usually w/o a charge.
Hmm... no such luck with the Action Auto. Auto Zone didn't charge me for the attempted read, so I guess that's a plus. After the 'key dance', you are right. I do get the word done each time, (I did it SEVERAL times lol.) The only exception was the first time I did it (wrong I might add! ) when I got the code. Every time after that, I saw 'Done' but the check engine light is still on....It's very confusing. Perhaps having the dealer run a diagnostic on it, then buying the sensor, if that's the problem, sounds like a good course of action. Thanks all for the help!
Old 20 Jan 2011, 11:07 am
Veteran Cruiser

Codes used to clear in 50 start cycles, if not repeated.

Standard Motor Products makes top quality parts. [They've recently introduced a cheaper line, too ]
It'd be the small independent speed shop or Rockauto.com
I'd have no fear w/ their stuff.
Old 20 Jan 2011, 04:20 pm
Cool Cruiser

Standard Motor Products +1.
Old 20 Jan 2011, 04:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

to clear the codes just disconect the battery for about 15 m,inutes and then clean the terminals and hook it back up it will clear the stored codes
Old 24 Jan 2011, 11:25 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: OBDII Error codes (help?)

*UPDATE*

Just want to thank you all for the help, I really appreciate it.

It was indeed my Camshaft Position Sensor, got it replaced at the dealer for 100 bucks! WIN!! But no word on why the code only showed up once with the 'key dance.'

@Cruiserdad Thanks for the tip also, if they don't clear it at the dealer, (which I hope they do) I'll do it myself.

Thanks again.

Last edited by PoppaGrunt; 24 Jan 2011 at 11:26 am. Reason: @ wrong username
Old 24 Jan 2011, 11:37 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppaGrunt View Post
*UPDATE*

Just want to thank you all for the help, I really appreciate it.

It was indeed my Camshaft Position Sensor, got it replaced at the dealer for 100 bucks! WIN!! But no word on why the code only showed up once with the 'key dance.'

@Cruiserdad Thanks for the tip also, if they don't clear it at the dealer, (which I hope they do) I'll do it myself.

Thanks again.
$100 installed is not bad.
The sensor often becomes intermittent - maybe bad long enough to trip the light, but not bad long enough to set the code? Reports of it "acting up" off/on are not uncommon with this sensor going bad.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles

Tags
computer reset, diagnostic, error code, obd