Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Correct Timing Belt timing ? With pictures

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Jan 2011, 01:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Correct Timing Belt timing ? With pictures

This is been gone over a million times but I haven't found any threads with pictures.

The car: 2003 PT Cruiser 2.4 Turbo

Has rough idle, and no top end, great mid end- symptoms of a mis-timed cam.

Here are two pictures of the cams and crank gear as the belt was removed.

From what I have read, here are two photos of how it should go together.

:EDIT: Sorry for the large resolution pictures, but I thought if they are correct, it would be nice for others to have a real visual reference instead of just a repair manual.

Are these pictures correct? I'd throw it together and try without a more experienced opinion if it wasn't such a butt to get apart.
regcj23 and sxcv92 like this.
Old 20 Jan 2011, 02:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Correct Timing Belt timing ? With pictures

Here are two images with the belt installed- This looks much more correct then what it was set at.

sxcv92 likes this.
Old 20 Jan 2011, 02:44 pm
Veteran Cruiser

That'll do nicely!
Good job!
Old 20 Jan 2011, 05:16 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownSport View Post
That'll do nicely!
Good job!
Thanks, I just confirmed driving her that it is indeed correct. Following the Mopar manual proved not very helpful on this engine for timing and I had to do my own thing to get it right.

She's running great! I'll see about editing the pictures of showing the correct timing to something more useful so people can use it as a quick resource to confirm they got it right, as you can set it about 5 ways that it won't interfere, and will run, but runs like poo.
Old 20 Jan 2011, 08:18 pm
Young Cruiser

Swederacer in the first 2 pics, which I assume were when the engine was running rough, both exhaust and intake cams are 1 tooth off on the timing. Meaning the crank and piston 1 would have been at TDC and the exhaust and intake valve would still have been slightly open, hence losing plenty of power in the process.

The next 2 pics show the correct setting, crank at TDC and cams level with timing marks pointing towards each other. The manual is correct, as I have mentioned before, the manual shows the rear or exhaust sprocket as being a 1/2 tooth off only when placing the belt on the sprockets. Once you get the belt in place and the tensioner released you will realize that all the marks will line up perfectly. The 1/2 tooth is for belt slack and not a setting requirement.

Good pic's this one never gets old
sxcv92 and boonie2 like this.
Old 04 Jun 2012, 01:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you for these pictures - it literally took us about 5 hours to get the timing belt on correctly, after the first install that wouldn't idle after we got it back together. Following the book for the first coule hours never resulted in an aligned belt here is the procedure that finally worked for us on a 2.4 non turbo pt cruiser 07.

1. with the belt completely off use a ruler across the 4 timing marks of the intake and exhaust cam sprockets and mark one indented tooth at the top of each sprocket to the rear timing cover while you have them held in the perfectly aligned position with a marker. Will need two 18mm wrenches for this so the ruler can sit across the four marks while you turn the sprockets with the wrenches.

2. Use a screwdriver to push the tab on the rear of the timing belt tensioner as far clockwise as possible - then lock it in place with the 13mm lock bolt.

3. put the timing mark of the crank 1 full tooth counter clockwise of the timing mark on the crank case. We used the rising edge of the teeth as that is where the mark on the crank timing sprocket is (not in the center of the tooth).

4. put the timing belt on the crank, water pump, idler pulley

5. use 18mm wrench to align intake sprocket mark with mark on rear timing cover created in step 1 above.

6. put timing belt over intake and exhaust timing sprockets but only hold the teeth of the belt to the intake sprocket - the exhaust can still be turned without moving the belt. Intake is still held in place by the wrench - ensure crank hasn't moved from position placed in step 3.

7. While still holding the intake from moving with a wrench use another wrench on exhuast sprocket to align marks from step one and now engage exhaust sprocket teeth with timing belt.

8. you should have clockwise force applied to exhaust spocket and counter clockwise force applied to intake sprocket to hold this position. Look at crank and ensure it still hasnt moved from step 3 position.

9. have buddy pull timing belt towards tensioner pulley - but dont force it on yet.

10. person holding wrenches on cams reverses the force direction - counter clockwise on exhaust and clockwaise on intake without moving them from the marks created during step 1.

11. buddy forces timing belt on with increase slack from exhaust wrench being forced counter clockwise.

12. loosen lock down bolt on tnesioner - then use 1/4 in drive wratchet to slite notch on front of tensioner up to alignemtn position while buddy watches with mirror from above. Lock down when spring tang is in smaller notch .

13. do the two crank revolution check and you should see the alignment pictured above.

14. recheck tensioner is still where you want it - if not readjust and re-do two turn test.

The car can be started like this and should idle well - before buttoning it all up. Re verify inner timing marks look like the same chisel made them after letting the car idle a couple minutes.

This job was a pain in the ascii
Old 04 Jun 2012, 02:23 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by toper_73 View Post
3. put the timing mark of the crank 1 full tooth counter clockwise of the timing mark on the crank case. We used the rising edge of the teeth as that is where the mark on the crank timing sprocket is (not in the center of the tooth).
This is the 2.0 timing procedure- IDK why it's different for 2.4-
It's essentially the same engine!
Old 11 Jun 2012, 12:08 am
Fresh Cruiser

Set up my 2.4 to these photos runs great
Old 12 Jun 2012, 10:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Great post.. Wish this was here last month when I did my timing belt.. at least I will get to follow your post when I redo my timing this weekend as I think Im off a tooth still.

Thanks guys!
Old 18 Jun 2012, 12:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Got a question for everyone I have not seen posted in any of the timing belt threads, unless I missed it. How do you go about setting the timing correctly if the belt broke? Working on a friend's turbo and the intake cam is completely 180 from exhaust. Can I just rotate intake cam clockwise till we are lined up or is there another way of doing it with a torn belt? Exhaust cam is up intake is upside down.