PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Burp my Clutch?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Jan 2011, 09:11 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Burp my Clutch?

Hello all, I've been having some clutch issues, see: Clutch advice

I was thinking more about it, and wondering if I unwittingly caused my problem... I had noticed that the clutch fluid was very NOT clear - so while I was changing my oil last weekend, I pulled most of the fluid from the reservoir and replaced it. I did use new DOT 3 brake fluid. But I wonder if I got a bubble in the line...

As I think it through now, that probably isn't the case- it seems to me (please feel free to correct me) that since the clutch is working properly there can't be a bubble .... If there were air in the line, it seems like the clutch wouldn't work properly. The pedal just feels different - there is hardly any resistance, so it's probably some other problem.

Anyway - I just thought I'd bleed the system this weekend - just to be sure - and it's probably the only thing I can check myself.

I don't have tons of automotive experience - I have been working on my own cars for like 6 years and 4 or 5 cars now... but I didn't grow up working on cars. I've had pretty good luck with reading and figuring things out, and I'm not afraid to try.

I've got the right Haynes manual for my model. Unless I'm completely missing something there are no clutch bleeding instructions in there.

- I've read everything in Chapter 8 that is clutch related. On page 8-2 in the 1st column ("a)") it says "... bleed the system as described in Section 6..." Section 6 of this chapter is "Clutch release bearing and lever - removal, inspection and installation", I've read that whole section over and over - no bleeding instructions.

- In Chapter 1 section 1-9 there is mention of Clutch fluid - but it refers you to Chapter 8 for how to bleed them.

BOTTOM LINE (Sorry for the long story): Can anyone tell me step-by-step how to bleed the clutch. I've bled brakes before - so I'm somewhat familiar... but could anyone help? I've done some googling - I don't know where the "slave cylinder" is and there is no mention of that in Haynes. Anyone have any photos that might help?

EDIT: I have read this post: 2001 PT Clutch issues and those procedures help, but I'm not sure where the Slave cylinder etc. is. I'm assuming underneath the car on near the tranny?

Last edited by mikelikestobike; 21 Jan 2011 at 09:21 am.
Old 21 Jan 2011, 12:21 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Burp my Clutch?

Sounds like you know exactly what you're doing.

The hydraulic housing for non-turbo's in front, turbo has a line running out 2 bleeder.
There should be illustrations in the FSM. The FPM shows it nicely.
Someone here could 'enlighten' you if they had your e-mail.

If it's working, though ...
Old 21 Jan 2011, 05:50 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownSport View Post
Sounds like you know exactly what you're doing.

The hydraulic housing for non-turbo's in front, turbo has a line running out 2 bleeder.
There should be illustrations in the FSM. The FPM shows it nicely.
Someone here could 'enlighten' you if they had your e-mail.

If it's working, though ...
I have a pretty good idea of how to do it, (even though I'm now thinking it's probably not going to make a difference...) but I don't know where the slave cylinder is, or what it looks like etc.

I don't know what "FSM" or "FPM" are.
Old 21 Jan 2011, 07:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

you can only get air in the system if you open it up between the master and slave.

if you have air in the system, the pedal is super soft and spongy and most likely grinds when selecting reverse.

i doubt you have air
Old 22 Jan 2011, 05:06 am
Veteran Cruiser

FSM=Factory Service Manual
FPM= " Parts "

Tags
clutch, clutch bleeding