Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
New Tires!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Jan 2011, 07:42 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default New Tires!

Hello, everyone. My tires are wearing to the point that I'm needing new ones soon. I bought Big-O european ones before but spent over $600.00 for them. I thought that was kind of high for the next go round, so I checked with Les Schwab. They wanted $648.00 for the Toyo set. BTW I have 16 inch chrome-clad wheels on my 2003 Limited PT.

When I bought Toyos for my daughter's Honda Civic, they were half as much. I wonder why they want so much more for 16 inch tires?

Anyone know where I can get a good set that doesn't cost so much? Les Schwab told me the Toyos were 70,000 mile tires--but I've purchased the best tires before and they have never gone over 45,000 before needing replacement.

Any other national brands out there that are going to last a while, but don't cost so much?

Tim
Old 22 Jan 2011, 07:53 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Re: New Tires!

We put Goodyear's on my wife's '05 PT for around $400 mounted and balanced at Walmart.I have heard people say that their tires are not as good as the tires that you get elsewhere but I have bought 4 sets from them for various vehicles and they have all lasted as long as the tires that I bought anywhere else.My wife only drives her car about 2500 miles a year so they will dryrot before they wear out.Anyway,that's my 2 cents for what it's worth.
Old 22 Jan 2011, 08:21 pm
Senior Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: New Tires!

give Tire Rack - Your performance experts for tires and wheels a look see you might find what your looking for
Old 22 Jan 2011, 08:42 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to WolfmanG

well i use pirelli's and i got them from discount tire. I actually gotta get them checked. my front driver side seems to be getting low all the time, and the front passenger side has a bubble. but they've been good tires so far, i guess.
Old 22 Jan 2011, 08:48 pm
Veteran Cruiser

ok so tire rack actually has them cheaper, so i did say just check around to see what you can find. and the reason why they're more for your PT is cuz they're being put on a car that's worth a damn. lol sorry, i'm not a fan of honda so i figured i throw that in there.
Old 22 Jan 2011, 08:54 pm
Senior Cruiser

Talking Re: New Tires!

i bought my wifes tires from tire rack,bought my cruiser's tire's at pep boys.
i had bought a set from tire rack for my cruiser before these and was happy,at the same time i bought my wife's tire's her's has outlasted mine by a year so far,,, mine lasted about 2 yrs.(gotta stop driving like chromenut) lololol
joking ,,chromenut
Old 22 Jan 2011, 09:00 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mityqwik View Post
i bought my wifes tires from tire rack,bought my cruiser's tire's at pep boys.
i had bought a set from tire rack for my cruiser before these and was happy,at the same time i bought my wife's tire's her's has outlasted mine by a year so far,,, mine lasted about 2 yrs.(gotta stop driving like chromenut) lololol
joking ,,chromenut
HIYOOOOOOOOO! LOL ZINNNNNNNG.
Old 22 Jan 2011, 10:42 pm
Cool Cruiser

I have the chrome clad over aluminum (with dimples) 16 inch wheels on both my PTs. All of them have bead seat areas in good condition. I run Michelin Exaltos and like them. Here I buy Michelin exclusively for temperature resistance. My second choice, and at a substantially lower cost, would be Pirelli. As far as I'm concerned, it is a big drop in temperature resistance below that.

If you have a Discount Tire (the Scottsdale based outfit) nearby, their extra-cost free replacement certificate is worth the small extra cost.

For what it's worth, I'd suggest in rough declining order:
Michelin
Pirelli
Continental
Toyo

Beyond that, I am not too familiar. I'll recommend against ANYTHING made in Korea or China. Bridgestone is not on the list because it's difficult to tell if the tires were made in a Bridgestone or a Firestone factory. Goodyears are off the list as well because I have never had a satisfactory set of them, ever.

Your mileage may vary.
Old 23 Jan 2011, 10:27 am
Senior Cruiser

I bought my PT last February and it had brand new Goodyear tires on it and I'm going to need tires again sometime in the coming summer, so I won't be buying "Goodyear". I want to get something that will last somewhat longer and give me more than one good year.

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 23 Jan 2011, 12:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I got 2 1/2 years and 34000 on my set of Goodyears!!

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar