Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Acceleration Problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Jan 2011, 02:43 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Acceleration Problem

I have an 03 PT Dream Cruiser with 2.4 Stage 2 Turbo. Car was modified by the previous owner. They replaced the turbo and put in an adjustable boost gage. Car has been running great for the last year, then my wife complained about it running real rough when accelerating. When you go past 1/2 throttle the car stumbles and bucks. If you drive it real easy and don't put a load on the engine it is fine. It idles and runs smooth until you get into the throttle. In neutral I can rev the engine with no issues, only happens when under a load.
I am open to suggestions. Can't really afford to take it to the dealer, so i need to see if I can fix it myself.
Old 23 Jan 2011, 07:42 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Acceleration Problem

Welcome to the forum.

First thing you should do is change the spark plugs and wires and see if the problem goes away. Do you have any records from the previous owner on what work or maintenance was done and when?

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 23 Jan 2011, 07:46 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Welcome to the forum.I cant really offer any advise because I dont have a turbo,but as stated above plugs and wires would be a good place to start.
Old 23 Jan 2011, 09:30 am
Fresh Cruiser

I hope it is the plug and wires and not the turbo. I checked under the hood and several vacuum lines are plugged off, so someone has done a lot of non-factory mods. Car has ran great for almost 20k miles.
Old 23 Jan 2011, 01:47 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Interesting, as there is no Mopar Stage 2 for the PT unless it's that crappy Jet chip and I'd remove that sucker fast. New plugs (Stock Copper Plus plugs gapped at .040) and Magnecor or MSD wires for a tuneup if last tuneup is unknown. If the tuneup doesn't help then you are probably in a world of hurt because no dealer is going to know what's going on with the mods done to it. I'm pretty sure you mean an adjustable wastegate and not an adj boost gauge. You may have to deal with someone who knows turbos and that usually means a speed shop. I hope the tuneup works.
Old 23 Jan 2011, 02:32 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Does it have codes?

Sounds like fuel pressure, but it could be many things.

For sure do Champions as GT man suggested.

Standard Motor Products wires is where I differ.
Old 23 Jan 2011, 03:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004GTMAN View Post
Interesting, as there is no Mopar Stage 2 for the PT unless it's that crappy Jet chip and I'd remove that sucker fast. New plugs (Stock Copper Plus plugs gapped at .040) and Magnecor or MSD wires for a tuneup if last tuneup is unknown. If the tuneup doesn't help then you are probably in a world of hurt because no dealer is going to know what's going on with the mods done to it. I'm pretty sure you mean an adjustable wastegate and not an adj boost gauge. You may have to deal with someone who knows turbos and that usually means a speed shop. I hope the tuneup works.
It is Stage 1, I mis-typed!
Old 23 Jan 2011, 03:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Not sure what he means by "there is no stage 2", there might not be an off-the-shelf solution for stage 2 but I can surely tell you there are hundreds of us running a race setup at stage 2 and stage 3. Go over to PTCrew.com and say that, see how long before you have people calling you names and making fun of you.

Anyway, that's besides the point here, back on the subject, if you are seeing capped off vacuum lines and you know it's at stage 1 with manual boost control, do you know if you have the stage 1 ECM? If you do, it will "normally" have a sticker on it that says, "For Off-Road Use Only!". If so, did the previous owner give you the original unit with the car? Does the car have any other gauges that you can work with to determine what's wrong (uego, aem, etc.)? If the problem is under acceleration, I'd look in the engine bay for a popped off vacuum line, see if you have an after-market waste-gate, if so that might be your problem. You might want to check that boost controller too as what you're saying, in essence, is when you are under boost you're getting a chugalug feeling. When you hit the throttle then let off, do you hear the hiss of a BOV??? If so you probably do have an after-market WGA...

Last edited by Chromenut; 23 Jan 2011 at 03:35 pm.
Old 23 Jan 2011, 04:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

It was a trade in, so I do not know who the owner was. The BOV is loud! Car is acting up too much now to hear it. One of the probelms is I am old school muscle car guy, so I am not sure about all of these turbo components. I have been into cars since the early 70's, but feel realy stupid with this.
Old 24 Jan 2011, 11:30 am
Obsessed Cruiser

If you have had the car for 20,000 miles, and wires weren't changed for at least that long, I'll bet that's what it is, particularly if they are stock wires.
In any case, it can't hurt and is likely the cause. With the aluminum intake you have you can do the plugs without removing anything - unlike non-turbo PTs where you have to take the intake off. Just have a swivel plug socket.
Easy to do on a turbo.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles